Saturday, February 06, 2010

Anne Hathway Quits Catholicism for Gay Brother

I obviously chose to leave the Roman Catholic Church because I am gay and I do not believe in remaining involved in an institution that does nothing but denigrate you and others like you even as it demonstrates complete moral bankruptcy (e.g., the sex abuse scandal). None of my children continue to attend Catholic Church and from the comments they have made, the Church's anti-gay stance is one of the motivating factors. Similarly, of my siblings, only one continues to attend Catholic Church. Therefore, I am not surprised to read in the Advocate that actress Anne Hathaway has broken her ties to the Catholic Church. I wish more individuals with gay family members would follow Hathaway's example or, if they cannot break from attending Catholic services, at least stop giving money that indirectly funds the Church's anti-gay jihad. Here are highlights from the Advocate:
*
Oscar nominee Anne Hathaway tells GQ Magazine she and her parents have left the Catholic church because of the religion's views on gay issues. Hathaway, whose brother is gay, says she and her parents became Episcopalians shortly after he came out.
*
"The whole family converted to Episcopalianism after my elder brother came out,” she said. “Why should I support an organization that has a limited view of my beloved brother?"
*
Hathaway, who has been a vocal champion of gay rights since starring in Brokeback Mountain, says she isn’t quite at home with the Episcopalian Church either . . . I'm a work in progress.”
*
Based on my own experience, Hathaway may want to try the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America which - after a breif stint as an Episcopalian - I found more a kin to the Catholic Church than the Episcopal Church yet without the anti-gay mentality of the Catholic Church.

1 comment:

buy amlodipine online said...

What you feel inside reflects on your face. So be happy and positive all the time.