Monday, March 24, 2008

Judy Shepard: Sally Kern’s Free Speech

I realize that there have been numerous stories on the hate speech of Sally kern, the deluded hate-merchant member of the Oklahoma legislature. None the less, I believe that thses comments by Judy Shepard (http://www.gaypolitics.com/?p=367) should be repeated over and over because it is people like Ms. Kern who create the mindset for violence against gays - as they all the while pat themselves on the back for being good "Christians," which, of course they are not. Compare Judy Shepard's remarks with those of Ms. Kern, and I believe it is obvious who is the true Christian. Here are some highlights from her comments:
Sally Kern’s comments hit me like a punch to the gut. I was enormously saddened that someone—anyone, really, but especially an elected official—could say such mean things about other human beings.
But as despicable as Sally Kern’s ideas are, she is of course free to shout them from the rooftops. One of the oddest responses of people who agree with her has been that we are trying to restrict her freedom of speech. In reality, the Victory Fund gave her a megaphone. If she’s that proud of her speech, she must be thrilled that more than 1 million people have listened to it. No, the question isn’t whether she has a right to spew hateful rhetoric. The question is whether she ought to.

My son died nearly ten years ago at the hands of people whose hatred changed many lives that day. It hardened hearts and brought others to their knees. It shook a nation and enraged millions. At that time, I knew there was a window of opportunity that I could use Matthew’s story and my voice in replacing hate with understanding, compassion and acceptance. Through the Matthew Shepard Foundation, we are reaching young people who are at risk of being poisoned by the dark ideas of people like Sally Kern.
I don’t know why Sally Kern is proud of comparing gay people to cancer or terrorism, but count me as someone who’s listening now to people like her. She may be free to say people like my son are a threat to America, but when she does she puts other mothers’ sons in danger. I pray she doesn’t say it anymore.

No comments: