Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Franken and Leahy Destroy Lying Focus On The Family Witness

I frequently maintain that when a Christianist's lips are moving, the safest bet is to assume that they are lying. At today's Senate Judiciary hearings on the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, Tom Minnery from Focus on the Family tried to spin lies and misrepresent the findings of a Health and Human Services study and argued that same sex couples are inferior parents. Thankfully, Senator Al Franken had done his homework and destroyed Minnery's testimony. Franken was assisted by Senator Patrick Leahy who forced Minnery to admit that DOMA discriminated against the children of same sex couples. The first video clip shows Franken taking down Minnery. The second shows Leahy scoring against Minnery as well. Both are via Think Progress.


*

As I said, if a Christianist's lips are moving, odds are that whatever is being said is a lie.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was living in Minnesota when Al was running for the Senate. I had the opportunity to meet and hear him speak several time. He was one of the first political contributions I have ever made. I believe he sincerely wants to work for the people and he genuinely cares. On the whole, I have been pretty proud of the work he has done, and wish there were 99 more Senators like him.

Stephen said...

I had to sympathize with the Christianist witness trying to parse the double and triple negatives of Leahy's question. Yest, it's not not.