Sunday, March 02, 2008

Police Charge Priest with Sex Abuse

This caught my eye since the Syracuse Diocese is where I grew up through high school and first received my indoctrination in self-loathing and self-hate. I find the story interesting because it shows the Roman Catholic Church STILL has problems with predatory priest even now after the Church's alleged efforts to address the problem. I continue to believe that the Church's warped views on sexuality and sex combined with celibacy make for a setting where disturbed sexual predatorys find an attractive haven. Married priests would do much to end this atmosphere, not to mention create staff of the clergy who had a clue about marriage and real life family issues. Note that the ages of the children involved deflates the Church's usual excuse that the victims were post pubescent males, as if somehow that made any diffference. Here are highlights from WSYR TV (http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=2742497d-9fc9-45cc-a977-acea293a058f):
Fonda, New York (AP) - An upstate New York Roman Catholic priest is facing several counts of felony sex abuse and endangering the welfare of a child.State police say Father John Broderick engaged in inappropriate sexual contact with at least four children in a Montgomery County family over the course of several months in 2007. The children range in age from 5 to 11. The victims' parent told investigators Broderick befriended his family and was considered their spiritual adviser.
The Diocese of Syracuse has just learned of the arrest of Rev. John Broderick late this afternoon from media reports. The diocese has contacted the State Police to inquire about the charges and to offer our full cooperation. Father Broderick is not functioning in the Diocese of Syracuse . The reason for this has nothing to do with any allegation of child sexual abuse. This is the first the diocese has learned of any such accusation.

1 comment:

Java said...

This is so sad, bad, makes me mad. (I'm channelling Dr. Seuss)

Sex and sexuality is such an important part of a healthy adult life. For the church to demand its clergy to refrain from it is stoooopid! I've felt this way for a long time. And now that I'm a parent, it irks me that a priest who has never been a parent, has never been totally responsible for the health, welfare, and education of a child or children, will try to counsel me about parenting.

One of my soap boxes. Yours, too, I've noticed.