Wednesday, March 05, 2008

What the F*CK is Wrong With Ohio - Morning Despair

I suspect some readers are wondering how I am feeling following the results from yesterday’s primaries. I believe much like Andrew Sullivan, although vodka was my beverage of choice last night (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/03/the-clintons-wi.html):

I just had a Jager shot, and hope to get drunk very soon. So this is my last post of the night. Here's what I'll do in the morning: find out who won the most delegates in the March 4 states, and check someone else's math (yes, I'm not going to get it wrong myself) to see who subsequently has the numbers to win. And then take a deep breath. And say what I think. Right now, emotion clouds the mind. Oh, and Jager.

Well, it’s the next morning and my reaction so far is that we just so John McCain not only win the GOP nomination but – I am very much afraid – score a de facto win the White House. I truly believe that (1) Hillary is putting her ego (and Bill’s) ahead of the Democrat Party and the country, (2) she remains unelectable in the general election in November, and (3) in states like Virginia, she will be a significant drag on other Democrat candidates inasmuch as the GOP will come out in droves to vote AGAINST her. She will greatly reduce the chances of candidates line Glenn Nye who I mentioned in a post yesterday. Meanwhile, blacks, the under-thirty voters and disaffected Republicans may well just stay home in disgust. I hope Bill and Hillary will be proud of that result.

Moreover, I also believe that if by some extreme miracle Hillary does get the Democrat nomination and wins in November, we will see little or nothing get done and suffer through one Clinton scandal after another. In my opinion, Bill is - as my New Orleans belle grandmother would put it – white trash - and doesn’t know how to (a) keep his mouth shut, (b) keep his zipper up, and/or (c) keep his hands off of dirty money. True, he got elected president, but he has never lost the white trash character in my view. As I said when I worked the polls AGAINST Bill Clinton in 1996, how can you vote for a man who would molest your teenage daughters if given an opportunity (maybe being a father of two daughters influenced my views). I suspect that the GOP party leaders are already preparing the first Clinton scandal to be unveiled the morning after Hillary is nominated, assuming the country suffers that sad fate.

As the post title indicates, I truly do not understand what is wrong with Ohio voters. As a state that is greatly suffering as a result of the same old politics of division, they cast votes to in effect continue a broken politics that virtually guarantees that the change that is so badly needed in states like Ohio will NOT occur. The fact that the GOP is rejoicing over Hillary’s victories ought to tell the moronic soccer moms, retirees and others who voted for Hillary that they are idiots.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't agree with this post. I appreciate the communication skills of Obama and the idea of transmitting an image of change. I love the fact that he's part of a visible minority, though he's above all a man, and that suits in the idea that men and only men can rule a country. But I do believe that he is mainly image and not so much experience. Clinton's presidency was one of the best for the USA since Johnson, and it seems childish and biased saying what you say about him and Hillary, unless you are a moralist Republican, of course.

Ohio has a tradition of being the most representative state of the USA. If Hillary has won there it means that she's still very strong in the entire country. Not by chance, she won California, Texas, New York, Florida too, which are the most populated areas of the country.

(Sorry for my English, I'm foreigner :-)

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

I am hardly a moralizing Republican. I quit the GOP BECAUSE of its moralizing and growing inability to separate one intolerant form of Christianity from the civil laws. My views are based on what I believe are political realism and pragmatism. Hillary can have the best proposals in the world, but if she cannot get elected they are meaningless. If she is the Democrat nominee, barring something horrendous on McCain’s part, I believe we will see another GOP president –something this country does not need.

Anonymous said...

So you were in the GOP! ;-)

If Hillary wins the nomination, I have a feeling she would have more possibilities to seat in the White Hourse rather than our mulatto friend. My feeling is, in other words, that if the Americans have to choose between an unexperienced mulatto and an experienced WASP man, there will be no challenge.

I may (and hope to) be wrong, but seen from a European who lives in Canada, the USA seem to be quite a racist country, still.