Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Pentagon Continues to Dog Discharged LGBT Servicemembers

LGBT service members continue to be discharged under DADT as the Pentagon draws up "education" plans for the implementation of DADT repeal. Adding insult to injury, the Pentagon is harassing and pursuing those already discharged under the patently unconstitutional law for reimbursement of training and other costs which would not have been "wasted" but for the religious based bigotry of DADT. All of this, of course, is why the appeal in Log Cabin Republicans v. United Sates, needs to proceed and drive a final stake through the heart of DADT. Meanwhile, our faux "fierce advocate" has not issued a stop loss order pending the completion of the half-assed repeal legislation nor has he directed the Pentagon to stop the purely discretionary effort to collect reimburse from service members discharged under DADT. This perverse situation is yet another reason I continue to view Obama with skepticism and mistrust. His actions simply do not comport with his claimed pro-equality positions and goals. Towleroad has coverage on this and information provided by Former Petty Officer 2nd Class and Hebrew linguist Jason Knight (pictured at left). Here are some highlights:
*
The military has a long tradition of recouping money from service members who are discharged under the law known as Don't Ask, Don't Tell. If discharging GI Jane or Joe because they happen to be different, telling them they need to repay the government because of they are different is insult to injury, as well as reinforcing negative stereotypes. From tuition of ROTC students, military sign-on bonuses to unfulfilled contracts, the military is getting their money's worth for employing lesbian, gay and bisexual service members.
*
In 2005 I was discharged from the military for the first time because I annulled my marriage after discovering my sexual orientation. Regardless of misplacing the DADT discharge paperwork, recalling me back to service and serving a year in Kuwait and continues communications with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service to rectify the situation, I am still forced to repay my $13,000 sign-on bonus I received in 2001. After zeroing my account when I was discharged in 2005, I refused to pay this grievous loop-hole the government circumvents to continue to persecute LGBT veterans. So for the last six years, all of my tax returns have gone toward repay this "debt" including my 2010 tax return of $1959 that included a $1000 tax credit for being a full-time student.
*
So Dan Choi, be prepared to receive a letter in the mail that your tax return has been recouped to pay the debt the government has so willingly given you for being a gay man.
*
Americablog has posted a petition to Defense Secretary Gates to stop sending bill collectors after former service members discharged under DADT. I have signed the petition and I urge readers to do so as well.

No comments: