Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Maryland GOP Senator Announces Support for Same-Sex Marriage Bill

Maryland lies just across the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay from Virginia. Yet politically and socially it is a very different world where ALL citizens of the state have far more legal protections than citizens of Virginia. Indeed, now, a prominent GOP senator in Maryland (Allan Kittleman, pictured at right) has announced his support for a gay marriage bill now moving into the state legislature. I know of no GOP senator in Virginia (or GOP member of the House of Delegates) who would dare take such an action and thereby face the wrath of the Christo-fascists at The Family Foundation who daily make a mockery of religious freedom in this state. Obviously, I hope the Maryland measure passes and gives LGBT citizens in Northern Virginia the option of moving to Maryland where they will be treated as full citizens. Would such an exodus be a wake up call to Northern Virginia legislators subject to pressure from the real estate industry? Its hard to say, but it likely would not hurt the currently lost cause of marriage equality in Virginia. Here are highlights from the Washington Post on this development:
*
Sen. Allan H. Kittleman (R-Howard) formally announced his support Wednesday morning for legislation that would allow same-sex marriages in Maryland, saying he would vote for the bill "because of my firm belief in equal rights." With the announcement, Kittleman became the first -- and will probably be the only -- Senate Republican to back one of the most high-profile bills of the 90-day session. When the full chamber considers the bill in coming weeks, the vote is expected to be very close. Kittleman said he plans to testify next week at a scheduled hearing on the bill.
*
[M]y primary goal has always been to ensure that same sex couples have the same rights and responsibilities as married couples currently have in Maryland. I see this issue as a civil rights issue. I was raised by a gentleman who joined with others in fighting racial discrimination in the 1950s and 1960s. Watching him fight for civil rights instilled in me the belief that everyone, regardless of race, sex, national origin or sexual orientation, is entitled to equal rights.
*
I know that some may contend that since the Bible teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman, Maryland should continue to prohibit same sex marriage. First, let me state that I am a strong follower of Jesus Christ. I worked in youth ministries for many years. However, while my faith may teach that marriage is between a man and a woman, our government is not a theocracy. As the state senator from District 9, I represent everyone in my district, regardless of their faith. Therefore, while my spiritual life is extremely important to me, it cannot be the sole basis for my decisions as a state senator.
*
Ultimately, it was my strong feelings about civil rights that led me to decide to support SB 116.

No comments: