Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rachel Maddow Bitch Slaps Bob McDonnell

I am very much in favor of shining a spotlight on Virginia's social backwardness and the bigotry - some might even say insanity - that has swept into power in the state with the election of Bob McDonnell as Governor and Ken Cuccinelli as Attorney General. So far, Bob McDonnell's repeal of the portions of previous executive orders that banned discrimination based on sexual orientation continues to draw coverage. Last night Rachel Maddow spotlighted the intellectual regression and Neanderthal like bigotry that is unfortunately a fact of life in the Old Dominion. In addition to her own commentary Rachel had Melissa Harris-Lacewell of Princeton University further elaborate on Virginia's lurch backwards toward the 19th century. I truly hope that the constant negative drumbeat of coverage the state is receiving will wake up big business and perhaps shame the Virginia Supreme Court into doing what the General Assembly refuses to do: make LGBT Virginians full citizens once and for all. Some good additional commentary can be found at The Moderate Voice. Here are some highlights:
*
I am not gay. It is a reason I seldom venture into gay rights issues. I’ll defer that usually to persons closer to the cause or the gay community themselves. But I also believe I am a compassionate individual. And believe me, Buster, that compassion turns to outrage when a person’s basic dignity and civil rights are abused by government or special interests. I don’t care whether that person is colored, a religious zealot, another gender, a dwarf, and, yes, even a transvestite.
*
Who pulled my chain? Newly elected Republican Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell, that’s who. By the stroke of a pen and rubber stamp, McDonnell has signed an executive order removing protection for lesbians and gay men from discrimination in state jobs. It rescinds an order Democratic Gov. Tim Kaine issued in 2006 that extended state policy specifically banning discrimination against employees based on their sexual preference.
*
You can read to me all the Bible scriptures in the Old and New Testaments about the sins of homosexuality and it won’t change my mind one twit. I counter with the Golden Rule. To discriminate against gays in the market place, the work place or in Heavens’ Knows Where, is flat out wrong. What they do behind close doors is their business as it is for heterosexual couples.

*
Taliban Bob says he wants to be a "jobs governor." Does he really think that painting a picture as a bastion of discrimination and bigotry will make the state look attractive to the majority of progressive businesses? Or is he merely following the directives of our local embarrassment, Pat Robertson, and The Family Foundation? Bob McDonnell campaigned as a moderate. He is rapidly proving that his campaign was one huge lie. Not to sound like Cassandra, but I told you so.

1 comment:

RichardR said...

Thanks to you, Michael, as well as the marvelous Ms. Maddow, for highlighting these astonishing stories.

"Taliban Bob." Good one.

I feel such sadness about my native Virginia, to where I'd soon like to return my gay old self. Help turn the place really blue. Or lavender!

About this wacko Marshall, are there any citeables of his wanting to drive gays out of Virinia, per your reports yesterday?