Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Quote of the Day - A Black Veteran Commending Gay Service Members

Living in an area that is home to the world's largest naval base, several U.S. Army installations, an Air Force base and a major Coast Guard installation, I know only too well the huge number of LGBT service members. Likewise, I know how honorably most have served the USA. Yet bigots and spineless cowards like Mitt Romney cannot even see these brave men and women as fully human or that their spouses deserve the same treatment as the spouses of their heterosexual counterparts. In response to this issue, Andrew Sullivan shared the comments of a black Army veteran from a family with a strong military tradition. Here are highlights from those comments:

When I think of the generations of gays and lesbians who served in our military, I think that whether the likes of Romney (or a non-trivial swath of the GOP for that matter) realize it or not, they are in the debt of these folks and are in the presence of the very best of America.

I am not trying to blow my own horn. This is not about my service. I went in because I felt that I had grown up in a nation that did consider me an actual citizen and if my father could put on the uniform when he was, at best, a second-class citizen I could do no less. I just want us, as Americans, to acknowledge that gays and lesbians have served and continue to do so and that these are the very best of our nation. They get up and they do their duty knowing that the man or woman they love back home is not considered their actual, wedded spouse and yet they do it anyway. We should honor them as the exceptional Americans they are.

No comments: