Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Alabama Governor Elect - Only "Saved" Christians Are His "Brothers and Sisters"

The batshitery of the Republicans seems to be growing by leaps and bounds as unabashed bigotry - be it racial, religious, or anti-gay - isn't even remotely hidden. A case in point is Alabama governor-elect Robert Bentley (shown at right) who has basically announced that he discriminates against non-Christians. I've said it before and I'll say it again, WTF has happened to Alabama? It was more liberal in relative terms and the populace seemed for the most part to elect more sane individuals to public office than is the case today. No doubt economic development officials are wincing across the state at the prospects that luring new businesses to relocate to Alabama to help improve the state's mostly backwards economy just got a bit harder thanks to Bentley's verbal diarrhea. In my view, the man ought to resign from office even before being sworn in. The Birmingham News has coverage and here are some highlights of Bentley's open religious bigotry against those of other faiths:
*
MONTGOMERY -- Gov.-elect Robert Bentley in a speech at a Baptist church this afternoon said he plans to be the governor of all Alabamians and be color-blind, but he also said people who aren't ''saved" Christians aren't his brothers and sisters.
*
"There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit," Bentley said. ''But if you have been adopted in God's family like I have, and like you have if you're a Christian and if you're saved, and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister."
*
Bentley added, ''Now I will have to say that, if we don't have the same daddy, we're not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."
*
Might I suggest that Bentley read the Bible passages on the parable of the Good Samaritan? He does not seem to have gotten that message.

No comments: