Saturday, September 01, 2007

Saturday Ramblings




In a short while I need to get ready for a funeral (see my post from last Sunday about the deat of my friend's mother). I am sure it will be a very tearful affair since she died relatively young and was such a loving person. My friend is taking it very hard. It's a beautiful day, which to me always seems to make it harder to believe someone is gone. Bleak and dreary seems so much more in keeping with a funeral. I guess I am also thinking of the loss of my dad last September - it will be a year on the 26th, which is also my son's birthday. Talk about a day for mixed emotions.

I am debating making the drive to Charlottesville to see my mom either later today or in the morning. My brother and one of my sisters live there too. My main dread is the traffic coming back. This area has basically two routes in: Interstate 64 from the northwest which runs through Williamsburg, Newport News and Hampton, Virginia before going through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel that provides access to the Harbor, including passage of huge cruise liners and the nuclear powered aircraft carriers.
Charlottesville is a truly beautiful city, although it only has a population of 50,000. The country side is gorgeous and with the University of Virginia (Thomas Jefferson designed portion pictured above) dominating the City, the area is very liberal and progressive. The surrounding Albemarle County is one of the richest in the USA and many Hollywood types and New Yorkers and Europeans have bought country estates in the area. My brother and his wife have 10 horses (they are into the fox hunting scene), so I may go riding if I make the trip.
Sorry for rambling so.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go see your Mom and enjoy yourself. The traffic will be the traffic. We are here today and gone in the blink of an eye. How many times do I wish I had gone to visit my best friend over that weekend which became the last days of his life when he died unexpectedly on the Monday morning. At least I had talked to him on the phone on the Friday night.

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda with Lyndon there about visiting your Mom, but really it is up to you. Sorry to hear of your friend's loss and of yours last year.

And dare I say, I'm jealous of you? I've never ridden a horse but always have wanted to! Ack, well, my best wishes to you!