Here's yet another case of the Roman Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal coming home to roost. Here are some highlights from a Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/20/AR2007082001549.html?hpid=sec-religion) story:
ST. GEORGE, S.C. -- Nearly 80 people are now eligible to join a class-action sex abuse settlement with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston, an attorney for victims said Monday. A review of diocesan records in recent months found 20 more possible victims of sex abuse by priests, said attorney Larry Richter.
When the settlement was announced in January with as much as $12 million designated for damages, the diocese said it knew of eight victims in addition to four who had already settled claims. In March, attorneys said they had identified 53 people eligible to join the settlement. That number is now closer to 80, Richter told The Associated Press.
Up to 80 lives damaged in this case alone. Meanwhile, I am still waiting to see the Vatican start firing bishops and cardinals who had involvement in the countless abuse cover up cases. The Vatican can condemn gays and others and act all pious and sanctimonious, but the continued failure to discipline members of the hierarchy in any meaningful says it all: the Roman Catholic Church is morally bankrupt.