Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Anti-Gay Hate Triumphs

UPDATED: One generally gay affirming retired clergy's comment on this post was that I need to be more "positive' and look at what has improved and also be more patient. My resonse to him:
*
Every day, gays – especially teens - kill themselves because of the poison put out by “Christians.” People ARE dying due to this stuff. Remember, I have lost two friends to suicide because of the “Christian” message and know many more that are emotionally scarred for life (perhaps me included). All the while too many church leaders are afraid of offending the sensibilities of bigots within their churches and congregations who apparently need to feel superior to others in order to feel good about themselves. Being patient and positive does not stop the ruined lives and suicides.
*
I should be thrilled today, but the glow of the Obama victory is severely diminished by the triumph of the Christianist/Mormon haters in the anti-gay initiatives in Arizona, Arkansas, Florida and probably in California. For me, these results underscore that for LGBT Americans those who allege themselves to be Christian remain our number one enemy. I am left feeling physically ill and demoralized. True, many Christians worked for gay rights such as the churches I have highlighted in prior posts. Too many allegedly progressive denominations, however, sat by and did nothing and allowed the forces of hate to win. Personally, I remain with the feeling that anyone Christian is an enemy of gay equality until proven otherwise. And I am sorry, but just saying that a denomination or congregation is accepting doesn't cut it. As the saying goes, talk is cheap - I want to see affirmative actions.
*
As for my country, to be honest, if I received an acceptable marriage proposal from someone living in a country with gay marriage - a marriage of convenience to give me citizenship would do - I'd be sorely tempted to leave the USA. I am tired of waiting to be a full citizen. Here are highlights from Autumn Sandeen at Pam's House Blend that looks at the wins by our enemies (note that in California farm animals rate higher than same sex couples - it doesn't get much more insulting):
*
In Arizona, the same-sex marriage ban appears to be passing. With 99% of precincts reporting, the results were 56% to 44%. This initiative is currently projected to win; this is an initiative that needed 50% plus one vote pass -- the state itself was called for Obama.
*
In Arkansas, the ban on gay and lesbian couples adopting children appears to be passing. With 96% of precincts reporting, the results were 57% to 43%. As of this moment, this initiative has been called; this was an initiative that needed 50% plus one vote pass -- the state itself was called for McCain.
*
In Florida, the same-sex marriage ban appears to be passing. With 99% of precincts reporting, the results were 62% to 38%. As of this moment, this initiative has been called; this was a constitutional amendment that needed 60% of the votes to pass -- the state itself was called for Obama.
*
And in California, we had Proposition 8. As of this moment, with 89% of precincts reporting, the constitutional amendment to the California State Constitution limiting marriage to one man and one woman is ahead 51.8% to 48.2%. The constitutional amendment hasn't yet been called -- but the amendment needs just 50% plus one vote pass -- the state itself has been called for Obama.

*
Here in my odd world of California, there is a weird comparison of initiatives between California initiatives can be made between Propositions 2 and 8. Proposition 2 is an initiative that was described in the initiative as follows: The purpose of this Act is to prohibit the cruel confinement of farm animals in a manner that does not allow them to turn around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs.
*
So in my mind, perhaps the saddest commentary on "liberal" Californians sense of equality and fairness is to say that in my home state where, to this point, 63.3% of its voters found the mistreatment of farm animals something worthy of being legislated against, and 52.8% of voters believed eliminating the fundamental right of gays and lesbians to marry worthy of a state constitutional amendment.
*
It dampens my hopes in what a Democratic Congress and Democratic Congress will do with a fully inclusive ENDA, a Matthew Sheppard Act, and with Don't Ask, Don't Tell being repealed. The tide just doesn't seem to be flowing in the electoral direction of LGBT citizens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am deeply upset about this also. It actually is making me hurt inside. I thought out in CA there might be a chance for this to pass.

Just out of wonder....which countries ARE gay friendly? Do you know? I guess I could research as well.

Shayla Kersten said...

All of these inititives passing upset me but the Arkansas one is not just a slam against the GLBT community. While the so-called Christians who were behind this inititive were targeting gays, the inititive actually bars any unmarried couple cohabitating from fostering children. So straight couples in committed relationships without a marriage license are included in this ban. Arkansas just voted against children who need a safe place to live. I really think the "yes means no" wording of the ballot was confusing. I'm hoping this one gets another look.

Anonymous said...

As I noted on my blog, we lost because the campaigns that were being run were weak.

Some people called No On 8 The campaign that dare not speak it's name. I'm sure the same goes for Arizona, Arkansas, and Florida.

As a blogging community, we just weren't united. There was a pick and choose mentality that took place. I think you know what I mean, Michael.

We should have been sharing information - we weren't; We should have been on those Yes On 8 blogs confronting their lies, we did not, and we should have been helping one another whenever someone decided to spam a particular blog with the lies and misreprentations, we did not.

In my case, I hope it's not out of spite over what happened a year or so; Was being divisive and being ineffective worth jutifying one's ignorance and cowardice at my expense? I hope not...

I'm suggesting such was a factor; On the other hand, it sure didn't help that.

More thoughts via e-mail.