Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day Reflections

My posts will be few today inasmuch as I have a crazy schedule: Court hearing this morning, run and vote and then serve as a "Protect the Vote" attorney at a majority black precinct in Norfolk. I have talked to a neighbor who is in line at my precinct and she reports a far, far longer line than is the norm and that most of the voters are blacks - not a surprise since I live in a neighborhood "in transition"- but the length of the line is unprecedented from what she says. If Norfolk can deliver a huge turnout minority vote, it will hopefully be enough for Obama to sweep Hampton Roads and thus Virginia.
*
In parts of the country - California, Arizona and Florida - today will decide whether or not the words "liberty and justice for all" and "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" truly apply to gays. If the anti-gay initiatives pass, in my view it will be proof that the PR this nation puts out about itself is in fact a lie. Moreover, it may further embolden the Christianists. I can only hope that a win by Obama may in time might turn back the tide of discrimination based on conformity with one set of religious beliefs. Should McCain win, in my view, it's over for this country in terms of true religious freedom, especially if he were to put more reactionaries on the Supreme Court.
*
Living in an anti-gay state like Virginia, it gets old and disheartening not having employment non-discrimination protections others take for granted. As I told a reporter yesterday who wanted my reflects on the impact of the "Marriage Amendment" passed two years ago, when I get contacted by out of state gays thinking of moving to Virginia I ask them why would they want to come here. In fact, my advise is don't come. At my age, I am over waiting for things to get better and to have real equality. In the event of a McCain/Palin win - God forbid - I just might look into leaving the USA. I hope it doesn't come to that. My emotions are a mix of excited optimism mixed with fear.

No comments: