Monday, March 14, 2016

Tom Goss' "Son of a Preacher Man" Has A Gay Twist and Message’ a Gay Teen



 Among the amazing people I have come to know since coming out is singer Tom Goss.  Tom has a new album out and the cover piece is a remake of Dusty Springfield's "Son of  a Preacher Man" which has a gay theme that also looks at the poison disseminated by the "godly folk."   The music video above is touch and underscores what I tell those coming out after having been raised in a toxic, homophobic religious tradition: walk away!!  Here's what Huffington Post has to say:

The classic hit "Son of a Preacher Man," originally recorded by Dusty Springfield in 1968, has been reimagined by singer Tom Goss in a video telling the story of two young, gay teens struggling to understand their sexuality -- and feelings for one another -- while operating within the confines of an evangelical church.
Goss' somber remake follows the son of an anti-gay preacher after he falls in love with another boy in his father's congregation and reveals what happens when the pair's relationship is subsequently discovered.
"The story of the video is one that hits home to me," Goss told The Huffington Post. "I had planned to become a Catholic priest -- I spent 18 months in seminary following college before I realized I was gay. I also attempted suicide when I was 13. Although it was for different reasons, it's a place that I've been." 
Like Goss, I once contemplated becoming a Catholic priest as part of my effort to "pray away the gay."  Thankfully, I turned away from that idea and ultimately the misogyny of the Catholic Church. 

No comments: