Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Obama to Claim Democratic Nomination

Like many others, I am awaiting news updates to confirm that Barack Obama has tied up the nomination for the Democratic Party. Yes, I have been very harsh on Hillary Clinton throughout the primary contest and, I believe rightfully so. Having once run for public office myself and lost by a slim margin after a very nasty campaign, I know all too well how much losing hurts. It is literally a personal rejection no matter how one views it. However, how one accepts that reality of losing and how they carry on going forward says it all about the losing candidate. In Hillary's case, she has failed the test and come up short, looking like a delusional nut case rather than losing with class and dignity.
*
I truly pray that Obama will NOT offer her the Vice President slot. She has proven herself to be a sleaze bag just like her husband, Slick Willie, and having her in the number 2 slot has the potential for disaster. I'll be right up front and state that if I were Obama I'd be worried that Bill and Hillary would have me assassinated, making it of course look like some white supremacy group was responsible. I do not like Hillary nor do I trust her as far as I can throw my Jeep. In addition, having her on the ticket could well alienate many cross over GOP voters who might otherwise support Obama. As for the disgruntled older women supporting Hillary who might support McCain over Obama, I predict that should McCain win the election and add reactionaries to the U.S. Supreme Court, Hillary will go down in history as having severely damaged the nation. I hope all these so-called feminists enjoy a return to back alley abortions and the re-passage of sodomy laws nation wide. Meanwhile, here are highlights from MSNBC on Obama's plan to claim victory:
*
Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois prepared to claim the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night after The Associated Press said he had won a majority of delegates to the party’s summer convention. By doing so, he shattered a barrier more than two centuries old to become the first black candidate ever nominated by a major political party for the nation’s highest office. “Tonight, I can stand before you and say that I will be the Democratic nominee for president of the United States,” Obama planned to say in a victory celebration in St. Paul, Minn., at the site of the convention that will nominate his Republican opponent in the fall, Sen. John McCain of Arizona.
*
Obama, 46, of Illinois, bested Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York in a historic campaign that sparked record turnouts in primary after primary, yet exposed deep racial and gender divisions within the party. Throughout the day, as superdelegates fell into Obama’s column, speculation increased that McCain could be facing an Obama-Clinton unity ticket.
*
Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., a prominent Clinton supporter, told NBC News that “certainly to the extent that she will do anything to win ... she’ll be available.” “She’ll do whatever is needed,” Rangel said. “If people think it would help, she’d do it.” Lisa Caputo, a longtime Clinton adviser, said Clinton “knows the math just isn’t there, so everybody needs to be a realist.”

No comments: