Saturday, September 29, 2007

Daddy Dobson Wears Prada

This post from Ex-Gay Watch (http://www.exgaywatch.com/wp/2007/09/open-forum-if-james-dobson-were-in-the-devil-wears-prada/)is too funny - I guess probably because I just watched The Devil Wears Prada yet again last night. While Mike Airhart has done a great job of satire on Dobson, I suspect that much of the premise is true. Everything Daddy Dobson does in the ex-gay field is calculated and with political PR in mind. Without maintaining the "choice" myth, the Christianists are faced with sexual orientation being an immutable characteristic which makes non-discrimination and hate crimes protection all too appropriate. Here are a few highlight, but you should read the entire post:


If James Dobson ruled the ex-gay movement with an iron fist, and if the opening scene of The Devil Wears Prada were to peek inside a political empire instead of a fashion magazine, then what might Dobson’s morning arrival at Focus on the Family look like?

Elevator doors open onto the executive floor. James Dobson dons his glasses, steps from the elevator, and barks orders at his female personal assistant, who takes notes.]

Tell Alan I’m not going to approve that young man that he sent me for the youth layout. I asked for sexy, serious, and ripped; he sent me chaste, smiling and bleached. And RSVP yes to Peter LaBarbera’s party, I want the driver to drop me off at 9:30 and pick me up at 9:45, sharp.

[Dobson rounds a corner of the corridor to his office, his assistant stumbling behind in high heels and a long skirt.]

Then call Warren at Grove City and tell him no, for the 40th time, no, I don’t want “sexual identity guidelines,” I want “the road to godly masculinity through baseball.” Then call Newt’s ex-wife and remind her to stay out of the limelight. Then call Newt’s ex-ex-wife. Ask her to please be “out of the country” before Thompson’s next gig with that show that Russert hosts.

No comments: