Monday, October 31, 2011

Quote of the Day - Jeremy Hooper on 72 Days of Marriage "Sanctity"

The bigots and self-enriching whores of the Republican Party and professional Christian class - e.g., Maggie Gallagher, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell - whine incessantly about needing to "protect marriage" by denying any recognition of the committed relationships of same sex couples. Yet the real threat to the "sanctity of marriage" is not same sex couples like myself and the boyfriend or others in marriage like relationships but rather heterosexuals that treat marriage like the flavor of the quarter. Who am I talking about? No-talent, professional celebrity Kim Kardashian who is filing for marriage only 72 days after her "fairy tale" marriage. That's right after less than 1/16th of the time the boyfriend and I have been in a committed relationship. My blogger friend Jeremy Hooper (pictured at his wedding) at Good As You summed up the travesty that is worked against same sex couples by lying - pardon my language - whores like Maggie Gallagher as follows:

Kim Kardashian's wedding was so special, America was told, that it merited a two-part television special. The E! network even went so far as to label it a "fairytale wedding" on par with Kate and William's royal nuptials.

Today Kim and husband Kris Humphries announced that they are divorcing after 72 days. Which is fine, whatever. I have no interest in judging anyone's marriage or its dissolution.

However, the next time Maggie Gallagher gets in front of an audience and tells folks that GAY PEOPLE are the ones sending kids confusing messages about marriage, I hope she will consider the reality of this Halloween day. Because only about fifty or so children will see my husband and I tonight, and they will see us as a loving unit passing out candy to those costumed enough to deserve it. But millions upon millions will see endless media coverage of the quick dissolution of a product -- a commodity with marketing and press releases and ratings -- that adults spun to them as a "fairytale." Frankly, I know which cultural influence I'd rather explain to my kids.

No comments: