Sunday, December 23, 2007

Older White Women Join Kenya's Sex Tourists

I stumbled upon this article on Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN2638979720071126) and thought: WTF? I then immediately thought of all the anti-gay Anglicans in Africa and figured this story should cause an outcry. Unless, of course they save their demands for chastity and celibacy for gays. In any event, I figured this story was off the beaten path of my usual postings and might generate some comments. It also indicates, I guess, that I needn't worry about dating younger guys. If these women can do it, so can I. :) So here are some highlights:
MOMBASA, Kenya (Reuters) - Bethan, 56, lives in southern England on the same street as best friend Allie, 64. They are on their first holiday to Kenya, a country they say is "just full of big young boys who like us older girls." Hard figures are difficult to come by, but local people on the coast estimate that as many as one in five single women visiting from rich countries are in search of sex. Allie and Bethan -- who both declined to give their full names -- said they planned to spend a whole month touring Kenya's palm-fringed beaches. They would do well to avoid the country's tourism officials.
The white beaches of the Indian Ocean coast stretched before the friends as they both walked arm-in-arm with young African men, Allie resting her white haired-head on the shoulder of her companion, a six-foot-four 23-year-old from the Maasai tribe. Grieves-Cook and many hotel managers say they are doing all they can to discourage the practice of older women picking up local boys, arguing it is far from the type of tourism they want to encourage in the east African nation.
"Old white guys have always come for the younger girls and boys, preying on their poverty ... But these old women followed ... they never push the legal age limits, they seem happy just doing what is sneered at in their countries." "It's not love, obviously. I didn't come here looking for a husband," Bethan said over a pounding beat from the speakers. "It's a social arrangement. I buy him a nice shirt and we go out for dinner. For as long as he stays with me he doesn't pay for anything, and I get what I want -- a good time. How is that different from a man buying a young girl dinner?"

2 comments:

Java said...

I find this amusing. I agree with the ol' girl. What she's doing, how is that different from a man buying dinner for a young girl? And if there are young men willing to acompany these gals, why not? Of course, especially in Africa, I'd be terrified of AIDS. I can understand the appeal, what with young men typically having the kind of stamina that a sexually uninhibited older woman can appreciate. But that's just about the sex, and for me sex is so much more than the physical aspect. Emotional involvement is critical, so don't look for me on the white sand beaches in east Africa.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Java,

I agree with you that emotional involvement is critical. I want it to mean something. Guess I am a hopeless romantic.