Saturday, September 24, 2011

Support the Hamar/HRBOR Scholarship

The George D. and Marion Phelps Hamar HRBOR Scholarship established earlier this year in honor of my late parents (pictured at right on their wedding day) - who accepted and supported me when I came out without reservation - and Hampton Roads Business OutReach ("HRBOR") is now live on the Hampton Roads Community Foundation web site (scroll down the list of available scholarships). On December 1, 2011, applications for the scholarship to benefit graduating LGBT high school students will be available on the Foundation's web site here. With so many of our LGBT youth still not finding family acceptance, it is my hope that this scholarship fund will grow to support more students. Anyone desiring to make a tax deductible donation to grow the fund can do so in several different ways:

How to donate by check. To contribute to the Hamar HRBOR Scholarship, you can make your check payable to the Hampton Roads Community Foundation, and mail it to 101 W. Main Street, Suite 4500, Norfolk, VA 23510. Please indicate that your gift is for the Hamar HRBOR Scholarship.

How to donate online. If you prefer to make a gift online using a credit card, please go to and click on the Donate Now button at the top of the home page. Complete the online giving form and check the box under additional information that says, “Named Fund.” Check there and fill in Hamar HRBOR Scholarship under “Name of Fund.” The Foundation accepts online gifts using Visa or MasterCard.

How to transfer appreciated securities. You can contribute shares of publicly-traded stocks, bonds or mutual funds. Please contact the Foundation directly for instructions. The Foundation accepts these assets, and you would receive credit for the fair market value of the contributed assets.

Acknowledgment of contributions. The Hampton Roads Community Foundation will acknowledge your generous contribution. As a 501(c)(3) public charity, your gift is eligible for a charitable income tax deduction to the fullest extent allowed by law.

For more information. Please contact Nan Edgerton, vice president of development, at 757-622-7951 or

No comments: