Friday, February 19, 2010

Evan Lysacek Seizes the Gold for U.S.A.

Evan Lysacek delivered an amazing long program in the men's figure skating long program finals last night and ended a 22 year drought in gold medals in the men's sport for the USA. Also skating beautifully was Johnny Weir, who in my opinion and some of the commentators (including former gold medalist Scott Hamilton) was underscored by the always less than objective figure skating judges. Homophobes deride figure skating and act like it's a sissy sport, yet it takes far more skill and athletic talent than say being a football tackle where one need not have mental abilities much above that of a draft animal. I am very happy for Lysacek and hope Weir is happy with his performance which was more mistake free than some who fell yet placed above him. I hope that Lysacek and Weir inspire others boys and men who love skating to ignore the homophobes and follow their dreams Here are highlights from the Los Angeles Times:
*
Evan Lysacek's coach, Frank Carroll, had one major hope for his skater going into Thursday's Olympic free skate final. "I want him to grab this opportunity and make it something special," Carroll said, "because so few skaters have this chance."
*
Lysacek did all that and more at the Pacific Coliseum. Shaking off the suffocating pressure of the moment -- which actually lasted four minutes, 30 seconds -- Lysacek delivered a brilliant, career-best performance to become the first U.S. man to win the Olympic skating gold medal since Brian Boitano in 1988.
*
"I can't even put into words right now how I'm feeling," said Lysacek, the 24-year-old from the Chicago suburb of Naperville, who lives and trains in Los Angeles. "This is the greatest night of my life." . . . Johnny Weir of the United States was sixth (238.87), with teammate Jeremy Abbott ninth at 218.96.
*
The Olympics are so inspiring. From watching the skating events, both my daughters are going to start skating again, although not at a competitive level. As a parent, it's a proud moment to see your child win an event, so I can hardly imaging who Lysacek's family is feeling right now.

1 comment:

bobfelton said...

I was cured of my preconceptions about 'sissy' sports when my wife and I were dating, and she dragged me to a ballet production. Some guy went leaping into the air and, I swear, FLOATED to the other end of the stage; no wires, no tricks -- just an incredible athlete. Michael Jordan's got nothing on those guys.