Monday, March 10, 2008

Obama rejects being Clinton's No. 2

Of late, Bill and Hillary Clinton have been making suggestions that Barack Obama could be Hillary's vice presidential running mate for a "dream ticket." It may be Hillary's dream ticket since it's probably the only thing that might help her beat John McCain. But for Obama, I believe it would be a bad dream - a very bad dream, a nightmare in fact. Fortunately, Obama recognizes that fact and today said he would not take a VP slot with Hillary. Why should he? He's more electable. He is not tainted like Billary - and who knows what their still unreleased tax returns will show. He definitely does not benefit by being associated with Billary. In the worse case, he's better off waiting for another try rather than prostituting himself to the Clintons. Better yet, he wins the primary and the 2008 general election and Hillary and Bill will in effect never retake the White House. Here are some CNN story highlights (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/10/dems.campaign/index.html?iref=topnews):

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama Monday flatly rejected suggestions he would be a vice presidential running mate for Sen. Hillary Clinton. Obama forcefully shot that idea down. "Sen. Clinton is fighting hard. She's tenacious. I respect her for that. She is working hard to win the nomination. But I want everybody to be absolutely clear. I'm not running for vice president. I'm running for president of the United States of America," Obama told supporters during a rally in Columbus, Mississippi.

If anyone should be suggesting vice presidential candidates, it should be him, Obama said. "With all due respect. I won twice as many states as Sen. Clinton. I've won more of the popular vote than Sen. Clinton. I have more delegates than Sen. Clinton. So, I don't know how somebody who's in second place is offering vice presidency to the person who's in first place," he said. Obama also said the Clinton campaign was "hoodwinking" voters when it suggested he was not ready to be president while also floating the possibility of a joint Clinton-Obama ticket. "I don't understand," he said. "If I'm not ready, how is it that you think I should be such a great vice president?"

No comments: