Wednesday, April 04, 2012

A Teen’s Brave Response to “I’m Christian, Unless You’re Gay

I write frequently about anti-gay bullying and the fact that it is typically your "godly Christians" who are the principal opponents to any form of meaningful anti-gay bullying legislation. And sadly, it is often "Christian" parents who throw their children out of their homes when they discover that their child is LGBT. But sometimes, even Christian parents can wake up to the error of their ways and their error in embracing anti-gay bigotry. Once such positive story of parental enlightenment can be found in a post entitled "A Teen’s Brave Response to “I’m Christian, Unless You’re Gay." Here are some highlights (read the entire post) that may bring tears to your eyes:

Hello Mr. Pearce, I am the Christian mother of a 15 year old teenage boy and about a month ago he came home from school with a copy of your article “I’m Christian, unless you’re gay”. The teacher gave his class a homework assignment to read it and write a 500 word essay about “what it meant to them”.

I got madder and madder as I read it as I felt like it was a direct attack against our beliefs and our Christian religion and that it was promoting homosexuality, a practice that around here is a huge “sin”. I gave my son an earful about homosexuality and God and told him that he could tell his teacher that he would not be participating and if she had a problem, she could come talk to me and then I threw the article in the trash. My son didn’t say anything just walked into his room and shut the door.

My anger got a little out of control and while I was sitting there fuming and planning what to do, I got another text from my son that said “Just emailed it. Love, Jacob.” My son’s name is not Jacob, and it took me a minute to realize that he was talking about your friend Jacob in your article. And when I realized that I suddenly started shaking in fear and anger at what he might be telling me. . . . After a long time I finally got the courage to go look at my email and see what he had sent. And this is what he wrote:

I am gay and only my one friend knows so far. My mom doesn’t know yet. My dad doesn’t know yet. You didn’t know it when you gave us this homework. I am only 15 years old and I have never felt so alone. My mom and dad always are being angry about gay people and talking about how they are bad and going to hell and they also always talk about how all the gays should be shipped off to their own private island or something so that the rest of us could live God’s commandments in peace.

I have been so scared of them finding out that I’m gay because I know that they would hate me and would want me out of their life and at the same time I can’t keep this secret anymore because it is not something I asked for, never in a million years would I ask to be gay in a town like this where everybody would hate me.

I don’t see why I don’t deserve love just like everyone else. I see some crazy stuff that so many people do and people still love them but for some reason everybody around here thinks its ok to hate gays and stuff. And I don’t know really I think I just realize that I don’t want to be Jacob in ten years and still live my life in secret and scared of being hated.

And I don’t know what will happen but I am done playing like I’m something I’m not and if my parents don’t love me anymore because of this then I realize that’s not my problem and it will hurt but not as much as the way I hurt right now. I feel like if my mom and dad would just think about things they’d realize that what they always say and how they always hate gays is not what Jesus would do and maybe there is a chance that they will some day love me like Jesus would. I am their kid afterall.

Tonight I am going to send this to my mom and see what she says I guess. I don’t know what will happen but I know that I deserve to be loved just like everybody else does I just hope she thinks so too.

I texted my son back that I loved him and left it at that. He came home that night and didn’t try to talk to me about it, I just told him I loved him at least ten times that night and made sure not to talk about anything else. My love for him was the only thing I wanted him to feel and I knew he’d talk to me about it when he was ready.

That was a month ago and in the last month my son and I (his dad lives three states away and still doesn’t know) have grown much closer than we ever were before. We have both stood up against hate several times when we hear it coming from the people around us. You see, where we live people really do have problems “being Christian unless…” But no longer in this home.

The post has almost 2500 comments so far. Yes, some are the standard hate-filled knuckle dragger "godly Christian" stuff. But others get the message that this boy's mother finally understood. Why is it that the supposed followers of a religion that is supposed to be based on a love of others is nowadays best defined by its hatred towards others - be they gay, black, Hispanic, immigrants, or non-Christians?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to see this is getting so much exposure. I hope everyone reads the original post:
http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html

Peace <3
Jay