Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012 Relections

Today has been a very good day - especially when contrasted with the Thanksgiving Day experiences I endured a decade ago in the immediate aftermath of my coming out and moving out to start building a new life as a gay man in August 2002.  Those first years could be best described by two words: depression and therapy.  It took literally tears of therapy to overcome the emotional and psychological damage I suffered being raised conservative Catholic.   It also took  several years to develop an "I don't give a damn" attitude towards those who would diminish me for being gays.  At the same time I went through an emotional roller coaster with some of my children as my very much less than pleasant divorce unfolded.  The good news is that things DID GET BETTER although at the time I never believed that things would improve.  Today I am on good terms with all my children and I have a wonderful man in my life (see image at right) with whom I will be sharing our fifth Holiday season together.  My message today for the many readers of this blog who are various stages of the coming out journey is  that things will get better.  That is a belief that you need to hang on to with all your strength.

In terms of my children, my youngest was always loyal and we had a great talk today as she awaits the birth of my first grandchild.  I also spoke with my oldest daughter who is in Texas at the side of her husband who sustained terrible wounds in Afghanistan last week,  Her spirits are great and my son-in-law's surgery this morning to repair one of his worse wounds went well.   I also learned officially that I will be having a second grand child this coming July.  A decade ago I could never have envisioned any of these positive things that are in my life.   

Today we had the boyfriend's dad and a number of his family members over for dinner (the boyfriend, a/k/a "Martha Stewart" out did himself).  Shortly, we will be headed down the street to the home of a gay couple who are hosting a get together for those who don't have family locally or who do not have any family to share the holiday with.  Ten years ago, I could not have envisioned any of this.

I wish all of my readers a happy Thanksgiving and joy in the coming holiday season.  For those struggling in the early phases of coming out, my thoughts and heart are with you.  If you ever need to talk, please drop me an e-mail of call me (the office number is at the right on this blog).  All of us are in the battle to achieve full LGBT equality and acceptance together.  I will never turn a deaf ear on anyone seeking a friend or someone to listen.  Again, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mike! I, too, spent it with family, and it was wonderful.

Peace <3
Jay

Unknown said...

You know I couldn't be happier for you as your life has progressed in such a positive direction over these past years.

I'm glad I was along for the ride since 2007.

As you reflect imagine all the good and positive you would have missed if you carried out one of your blacker moments.

Someday we will finally meet in person and I can foresee a very long hug and tears streaming down our faces for the happiness and joy you have and all that you have overcome.

Continued peace and love my brother.

Lyndon

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Lyndon, yes, you have been along for the ride from the beginning of this blog and you have been a wonderful friend. I too hope we can meet in person one of these days. And you are right - there will likely be tears and hugs.