Monday, July 12, 2010

Gay Georgia Teen Launches Project to Assist Abused, Rejected and Abandoned LGBTQ Teens

I have commented many times on my inability to understand the (in my view) warped and perverted religiosity of parents who disown and abandoned their gay children. Perhaps I should consider myself fortunate that I don't understand such a mental/psychological mindset. No matter what they might ever do, I would never, ever cease loving and accepting my children. In any event, I previously wrote about Derrick Martin (above right), a gay teenager in Georgia who prevailed in bringing his boyfriend to his senior prom. Unfortunately, Martin's "good Christian" parents threw him out because of the publicity and his sexual orientation. Now, Derrick has launched a project called "Project Life Vest" which will help other teens going through what he experienced or worse simply because they are gay. The Project's website describes its mission as follows:
*
Our mission is simple: "To be a helping hand, a life vest, to as many LGBTQ teens and adults as possible. We will carry out this mission through the establishment of safe places in as many cities as possible; through opening a call center with a qualified and well-educated and experienced team of counselors who can give advice and guidance where needed; through finding qualified and screened families who can, if the need arises, host rejected teens while they finish schooling or find a new place."
*
Here is how Derrick Martin describes his own unfortunate experience:
*
When I first decided to go to prom with my boyfriend, I had no idea concerning the turmoil that would engulf in my life. One day I was living with my parents; the next I had no home. I found myself without much in terms of material possessions and comfort. I had a car; a low paying job with the school; and a few trash bags filled with my clothes and scarce belongings. Luckily for me, a good friend took me into her home. I stayed with her family during the last few months of my senior year in high school. These were very tough times for me. With the exception of my best friend and her family, my boyfriend, and a few other friends, I was alone.
*
I have a very unique opportunity that I feel I cannot pass up. I have the spotlight needed to establish a name in activism. I possess a unique viewpoint from which I can help others in the LGBT Community; people like myself who are disadvantaged because of discrimination, hate, or ignorance. That is why I have decided to form an organization dedicated to helping people like me, who are going through hard times because of discrimination. . . . I only want others who are like me to know that they are not alone, for everyone has the right to love regardless of sexual orientation.
*
For those withholding money from the Democrats, Derrick's Project - which has partnered with existing and experienced organizations - looks like a worthy place to make a donation. You can make a donation here.

No comments: