Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Random Occurence? Or Something More?

What with the recent local media coverage of the HRBOR/City of Hampton meeting concerning revitalization efforts for the Phoebus area of Hampton and articles quoting me in the Daily Press, on a WVEC-TV news clip and Inside Business, among others, It's not exactly a secret that I am gay in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Add to that my writings on this blog, my pieces on The Bilerico Project and occasional post picked up on other blogs, and my being "out" pretty much goes national, if not international. Being out socially and professionally in states like Virginia has its risks. But I generally feel no fear or apprehension. And, fortunately, I am not aware of any clients avoiding or leaving my firm because of my "lifestyle choice" as the gay-haters would describe it.
*
As a result of my activism and blogging, I have received occasional death threats and threats of violence in anonymous comments left on this blog (I ceased allowing such anonymous comments some months ago) or in e-mails - all from "Godly Christian" types, of course. I realize that such threats go with the territory of being a sometimes activist and LGBT blogger and that they also demonstrate the intellectual and moral bankruptcy of those who would use physical violence rather than logic and rational thought and debate.
*
But this weekend something happened that has touched the vulnerable side of me - at least slightly. Sometime over the past weekend, someone vandalized the outside main electric breaker for my office (the front of the historic building where the office is above). Of the 11 breaker boxes on the rear of the building on a low traffic volume street - all labeled to disclose the corresponding office/retail/restaurant suite - only one had had the padlock cut and the power lever pushed to the off position and the lock repositioned to appear still in the "on" position. The result: no real damage in the office other than a mess in non-frost free refrigerators that defrosted and discarded contents and whatever faxes and telephone calls that were not captured in voicemail.
*
Just a coincidence that only one of eleven (11) breaker boxes (all with similar locks) was vandalized? Or was the breaker for my office suite - which also includes the Virginia ELCA Synod's eastern office and an Ameriprise office - located towards the center of the boxes specifically selected from all the others? Neither I nor Dominion Virginia Power can determine when the incident happened. But based on the temperature in the office and the total meltdown of the refrigerator/freezer compartment contents, it likely occurred on Friday night or Saturday.
*
If the event wasn't a weird coincidence, I nonetheless have no intention of allowing myself to be intimidated. As long as the Christianists and enemies of LGBT equality disseminate lies about us, I intend to tell the truth - as I see it - about them. If it was a deliberate act against my office, it's yet another example of the cowardice of our enemies. What you do readers think?

1 comment:

Butterflies and hand-grenades said...

I hope that it was a coincidence, you are part of my daily news gathering, and I would be very displeased if you were to get hurt. Activism is something that I hope to make my future, as well as being an attorney. You are not "My hero" but I really do look up to you...be careful, and be loud. Thanks.
-BHG