Friday, December 18, 2009

The Out 100 - Congratulations

Some of my mail is still going to my house in Norfolk - including my subscription to Out Magazine which gets read by my cute, young gay tenant before he brings it in to my office - so I am a bit behind on some things, including the Out 100 for 2009. Through blogging and activism, it's amazing that some of this year's Out 100 are people that I've met in person through the 2008 LGBT Blogger Summit or with whom I've spoken with on the phone or otherwise communicated with directly. That someone like myself who came out later in life has actual had the opportunity to interact with some of these amazing people speaks to the power of blogging. I'd like to give my personal congratulations to those of the honorees that I have had the privilege to interact with (in no particular order):
*
Pam Spaulding, blog mistress of Pam's House Blend
*
Gavin Creel of the Broadway show Hair and the organization Broadway Impact
*
Dan Choi, decorated West Point Graduate discharged under DADT
*
Cathy Renna, blogger and communications guru
*
For those coming out later in life, I strongly encourage you to get involved in activism both as a way to accomplish needed change, but also as a way to build a new network of friends and colleagues to replace those who may abandon you as a result of your coming out and living honestly. I also want to say thank you to the above individuals and others named to the Out 100 for the difference they are making.

No comments: