Saturday, November 10, 2007

American Ostriches and Bimbos

Andrew Sullivan has a post (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/11/democrats-tortu.html#more) in which he quotes a reader's response and her view as to why so much of the American public is asleep when it comes to realizing the terrible things that have occurred under Bush/Cheney and which are continuing to occur. I recommend you read the full quote - it so accurately describes many people that I know or used to know in suburbia (especially the PTA soccer mom set). I cannot understand the mindset. Even my 80 year old mother gets what has happened under this evil administration. How do we wake them up?? It is important that we do so. Here are some highlights:

But both of us have to realize what they're [the Democrats] up against: a nation of voters just like...my mom. She's a lovely woman, Andrew. I love her to death. Sweet, kind, generous--she's got it all. But whenever I try to talk to her about torture, warrantless wiretapping, the Military Commissions Act, and the rest she just tunes out. Not only has she never heard of any of this stuff, but when I bring it to her attention it's as if she simply cannot believe any of it. She doesn't get angry or anything--she's not a "my country right or wrong" type. It's more of a "these go to eleven" sort of thing: she just can't get it into her head that these awful things are happening. There are millions and millions and millions of voters just like her in this respect.
They have no clue about the things that so rile you and me, and when these matters are brought to their attention they find it easier to believe that the person who's bringing them up is crazy than that they might actually be a problem. Yes, the Democrats need to grow balls. But the fault also lies with the media and, though it pains me to say it, with the moms--or the ones like mine, anyway.
It drives me crazy that people are blind to what is happening. Are they stupid, intellectually lazy or what? I just do not understand it. So much depends on waking these folks up.

No comments: