Thursday, October 08, 2009

My Readers - Reader Profile of Carole

Every now and then I have done profiles on some of my readers with whom I feel a connect and who, of course, are willing to have themselves discussed on this blog. In the past, profiled individuals have often been other bloggers who are likewise readers. Today, I want to spotlight a very special woman who is a fierce straight ally in the struggle for full civil equality for all LGBT Americans. I first heard from Carole (pictured above left) back in the run up to the vote on Proposition 8 when she contacted me to remind me that not all Christians and Christian denominations are the enemies of gay Americans. In fact, she proudly advised me that her church and some 20+ other churches had taken out a full page ad in a California newspaper urging Californians to vote "No" on Proposition 8. Since then I have heard from her from time to time, particularly during the week of September 28th when I went into total melt down and found my self subject to a TDO. Carole spoke with both the boyfriend and me and her support and words of encouragement have meant a great deal. Here are a few highlights from how Carole describes herself:
*
If you ever write a profile of your readers, it would be okay to refer to me as "carole, a retired United Methodist pastor in California, working for equality and hoping to bring change in the church." I have gifted, gay clergy friends who are afraid to come out, and it makes me sick that the church has been the culprit. I'm 68, straight, have been married to the same man for 45 years, have 2 adult kids and 3 young grandchildren. The picture I'm including is from our church web site, taken at my retirement celebration June 28, 2009.
*
So this is a "coming out" for me... I realize that we need to be out and connected for support and for bringing fairness and justice to our communities... and in our churches. It's cool if I can be in touch with you. Admire you very much. I hope we'll stay in contact, and I hope you'll call me anytime.
*
While Carole will not be in Washington, D.C., this coming Sunday for the NEM, she will be with all of us who are there in spirit. I thank her for all her words of support and her willingness to try to make a difference in a denomination that has not yet taken the gay affirming steps of the the United Church of Christ, Episcopal Church and ELCA. Carole is an example of the wonderful people that I have come to know through this blog. Carole, thank you for all you have done and continue to do. Oh, and Carole first came to my blog via a parishioner who mentioned it to her.

No comments: