Sunday, May 03, 2009

Weekend Reflections

Overall, its been a lovely weekend. First, I saw my daughters yesterday morning and I believe that they have come to understand that I am not the one who is the driving force behind the viciousness in my post-divorce nightmare. Indeed, I never wanted this type of hostility. But with my former wife giving free rein to her anti-gay attorneys (the first one was truly a Regent Law grad Kool-Aid drinker, and the current one is not much better) do all in their power to denigrate me for being gay and to torment and destroy me, there truly has been nothing I can do except endeavor to defend myself from the untruths alleged against me.
*
Later in the day, the boyfriend and I went to a Kentucky Derby Party down the street from our house - yes, I am currently living at his place and it's going well after a week and a half and we seem to be relatively compatible even if I'm not as organized as "Martha Stewart." I continue to be amazed by his sweetness and kind heart. I am so very, very fortunate to have found him . The fact that my daughters really like him is an added bonus. But I digress. The Kentucky Derby party was hosted by a gay couple a couple of blocks down the street from our place one of whom is from Kentucky. It was a wonderful affair with elegant food and an abundance of mint julep's and other refreshments. The hosts had prepared all the food themselves. Most guests were residents of the street including several other gay couples, one of which have been together for over 27 years. The women were fully into the event and all had on dresses and flamboyant hats like the ones we saw women wearing at Church Hill Downs as we watched the race on television.
*
As I have noted before, I was again struck by how accepting and comfortable all of the straight neighbors - even the military officer types - are with us gays and how gracious people in Hampton can be. Once again I could not help but ponder to myself why the Christianists deem us committed gay couples to be such a threat. We are just people and we are involved in the neighborhood, maintain our homes and we treat all of the neighbors in the manner in which we would like to be treated. Where is the alleged gay menace? Where is the "gay agenda?" Clearly, it truly is a figment of the Christianists imaginations or their very sick and warped psyches.
*
We ended yesterday evening attending a fundraiser for the Hampton Roads Men's Chorus - an excellent all gay chorus - at a house overlooking Chesapeake Bay in the Ocean View area of Norfolk. Today was pretty domestic as we started building a fence for an herb garden to protect "Martha's" herbs from one or more ravaging muskrats that come out of the tidal creek behind the house to feast on parsley, basil and other herbs that the critter(s) seem(s) to think are grown as delicacies for its/their enjoyment.

No comments: