Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday Rebound

My post in the wee hours of the morning was a bit overwrought, but at times I do wonder what the point is to my life and why going on even matters except perhaps for the fact that I don’t want to leave my children burdened with the legacy of parent’s suicide. In any event, my spirits are better this morning perhaps in part due to the fact that we finally have some sunshine after a number of dreary rainy days.

I went to church – I haven’t been in a number of weeks – and it is amazing the number of people who greeted me and seemed genuinely happy to see me. One older woman who I recognize but don’t know her name even told me she’d been thinking about me last night and was hoping I was alright since she had not seen me in a number of weeks. Although First Lutheran is a fairly large congregation, I am fairly well known – or perhaps infamous to some of the reactionary element – ever since Raymond and I brought the seven New Orleans evacuees to church with us, including the four drag queens who were done up with great panache.

Some readers have suggested I should join a completely gay accepting congregation, but I like the pastor, the service and many of the members, so why should I leave? I have as much right to be a member of the parish as the stealth homophobes who do not even have the guts to be open in their discrimination. Today’s Gospel was about Jesus and the Samaritan women at the well – perhaps those non-accepting folks would do well to ponder the message of that passage. I often think gays as outcasts are more Christian in the conduct than the self-anointed self-righteous. Ironically, I ended up sitting next to a woman I suspect is lesbian who is trying out the parish since her former church has gone through a change of pastors and apparently she is unhappy with the new regime.

In any event, I need to get some legal work done this afternoon once I get my dose of news and do some posts on my views on news and political events.

1 comment:

Ken in MS said...

Good for you!

I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now and am impressed with your intellect, politics, and personal story. So good for you for going to church where you want to. And especially good for you for taking the drag queens. I'm sure you could write a brilliant short story about that.

Though I'm not religious, my partner is, so I understand the need for faith. And I believe it is in living that faith, not fire-breathing that faith, that lives are changed.

Thanks for the uplift.