Monday, September 17, 2007

Hampton Roads Pride Update

Out in the Park yesterday had a very big turnout - far, far larger than in previous years. In addition, the number of vendors was significantly larger as well, led by Wachovia Bank and the Sheraton Waterside (which also donated the room and all food for HRBOR's seminar on Saturday) in terms of companies recognizable to readers outside this area.


I had one somewhat funny experience: After being liberated from the HRBOR booth, I was walking around handing out HRBOR information in the beer tent when low and behold, I see a you gay wearing a Tee-shirt with the distinctive logo of the Alanton-Baycliff swim team in Virginia Beach. The logo is the word "BOLTS" with a lighting bolt passing through the "O."

For newer readers who have not read some of my earlier posts about my closet years, I was on the board of directors and for two years the president of that organization in the closet phase of my life. My oldest daughter is currently the head coach at the pool for the swim team. I was most curious to see what neighborhood kid might be at Pride. However, when I did ask him, he said he had bought the shirt at a thrift shop because he thought the logo was "cool." Too bad!! It would have been interesting if it had been a former swim team member.


All in all, it was a great function and I am sure the freepers would go crazy if they had seen so many gays in one place. Given the number of HRBOR flyers distributed, it will be interesting to see how big the HRBOR Third Thursday event is later this week on Thursday evening.

No comments: