Sunday, June 10, 2007

More on Pet Sounds


I have posted twice now on the play "Pet Sounds" being performed at the 40th Street Stage in Norfolk because Granby High School would not allow the student written and produced musical to be performed at the school. I have received comments from readers who saw the play and praised it. Meanwhile, some of the local Christianist fundies are foaming at the mouth. Here's what one bigot - Patrick G from Chesapeake who didn't even have the balls to give his last name - said in a comment on the Virginia Pilot article:

"I can just picture that drama teacher patting himself on the back. He must think he is so creative. This kind of garbage has been done before. If he wants a challenge, let's see him do a play where the teenager on the floor is a either a Christian, a Jewish or Islam believer and the ones surrounding him on the stage are homosexuals who are calling him names for not supporting the homosexual agenda. Now that my friends is reality. If you don't believe that, just tally up the number of hateful personal remarks by supporters of the homosexual agenda on this message board."

Funny, I have lived in this area for 24 years now, and I can't think of a single time I have seen anyone called names for being Christian. On the other hand, I have personally been yelled at and called a "faggot" or worse a half dozen times or more and even harassed by the Norfolk Police on one occasion for being gay. I must be somehow missing making contact for the "supporters" of the homosexual agenda

Here's what the Granby High drama teacher told me in an e-mail about this comment:

The photo displayed with this article is actually a bunch of the main characters friends with telephones in their hands. They are singing "Call Me' and we were not even thinking of tryng to show someone on the floor being called names by those not supporting the homosexual agenda (whatever that is). In fact, several of the characters in that circle are gay! Further, six months ago we presented a play where there was one character surrounded on the stage by hateful hypocrites who eventually nailed him to a cross. Of course that was Jesus. Each night I watched as many members of the audience cried at his death. And I, the director, am Jewish! My only agenda is to create good theatre with my kids and to get an audience for them.

Gee, that sounds like the proper agenda for a drama teacher. Maybe Patrick G needs to evaluate his own agenda. It seems like it's the Christianists who are always spewing hate.

No comments: