Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Two More U. S. Senators Embrace Gay Marriage, Including GOP Senator Mark Kirk


The spittle will be flying in sheets in conservative circles in  backward areas of the states of Illinois and Delaware now that Delaware U.S. Senator Tom Carper and GOP Illinois Senator Mark Kirk have both endorsed full gay marriage.  Here is what Carper said on his Facebook page:

As our society has changed and evolved, so too has the public's opinion on gay marriage – and so has mine. I pray every day for God to grant me the wisdom to do what is right. Through my prayers and conversations with my family and countless friends and Delawareans, I've been reminded of the power of one of my core values: the Golden Rule. It calls on us to treat others as we want to be treated. That means, to me, that all Americans ultimately should be free to marry the people they love and intend to share their lives with, regardless of their sexual orientation, and that's why today, after a great deal of soul searching, I'm endorsing marriage equality.
More significant was Senator Mark Kirk's announcement which will cause the Bible beaters in the GOP base to go berserk.  BuzzFeed has deatils.  Here are excerpts:

Illinois Republican Senator Mark Kirk came out in support of marriage equality Tuesday shortly after the Supreme Court heard two potentially historic cases on gay rights.  "When I climbed the Capitol steps in January, I promised myself that I would return to the Senate with an open mind and greater respect for others," Kirk wrote on his blog.

"Same-sex couples should have the right to civil marriage. Our time on this earth is limited, I know that better than most. Life comes down to who you love and who loves you back-- government has no place in the middle."

Kirk is the second sitting Republican Senator to endorse marriage equality, following Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman last month.

The state senate in Illinois recently voted in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage in the state in a vote on Valentine's Day. Lawmakers in Illinois did not call the matter for a vote before they adjourned for their spring break.

Kirk supported Illinois Republican party chairman Pat Brady when attempts were made to oust him after he announced his public support for the bill to allow gay marriage in Illinois.
 It will be interesting to await the reactions of the hate merchants of the "family values" crowd and the rabid elements of the Tea Party.


No comments: