Sunday, January 03, 2010

Lady GaGa ‘Defends Adam Lambert From Homophobe’

Truth be told, I knew little about Lady Gaga prior to the National Equality March back in October. While my youngest daughter and the assistant to a mortgage loan officer I work with would comment on her, I really had no idea who she was other than from what I read in an Out Magazine article about her. But at the NEM, she made some amazingly supportive comments about gay rights and gay equality that resonated with me (the boyfriend and I were in the press area about 25 feet from the stage). Today, working again on the remodeling of the boyfriend's salon, we had the radio playing and low and behold, they played a couple of her songs and I liked them. Now, she has apparently lambasted a homophobic critic of Adam Lambert and again confirmed that she is an ally of LGBT equality. Given her current prominence in the music industry, I can only hope that she will continue to speak out against those who speak of LGBT Americans as less than full citizens or, worse yet, as less than fully human. Here are some highlights from Show Biz Spy:
*
The Poker Face hitmaker apparently lost her cool when a hideous homophobe criticized her for being friends with openly gay American Idol star Adam Lambert. According to the National Enquirer, GaGa was partying with pals at Ottawa club Barrymore’s after a concert when the man confronted her. The guy apparently approached the star and shouted, “I saw you and Adam Lambert on the AMA show, and the guy’s a flaming fa**ot
*
GaGa replied, “Well, that’s your opinion, isn’t it? And I’m not about to waste my time trying to change it.” The homophobe then slurred, “Well, don’t you care that you’re both going to HELL!” Outraged, GaGa said, “No…not as long as I don’t have to see YOUR face there!”
*
The drunkard then screamed, “WELL, YOU’RE A FREAK…AND SO IS HE!”
Before leaving, the singer said, “Okay, that’s it! Call ME anything you want, but when you start calling my friends names, it’s OVER — it’s WAR!” GaGa then poured a glass of wine over the homophobe and made a beeline for exit.
*
I applaud Lady Gag's willingness to user her current fame to speak out against homophobia and the politics of division and hate. Would that mere celebrities used their fame and press access to speak out against bigotry.

No comments: