Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pre-Dawn Thoughts

It was another restless night where simply getting up and coming to the office – which is about 5 to10 minutes max from home - made more sense than tossing and turning and/or waking up the room mates. The one benefit is that I get to check out the news on line, read other blogs and post some pieces well before the business day ever begins.

I have decided that I am going to pick up telling my story from where I left off – i.e., when I moved out of the marital home in August, 2004. I want to finish getting out a description of my experiences and some of the “dos and don’ts” as I see them from my basically unguided coming out process. I had held off in light of the divorce war, but at this point I do not see how the court could screw me over much worse than will be the case if I cannot get the property settlement ruling overturned or revised. Therefore, soon I will be picking up on the chronology.

I also want to make a statement on comments left on my posts. First, since I have done little to hide my identity, I have very little patience with those who make a comment but then leave a name such as “anonymous.” This is particularly true if the comment is nasty or pissy in tone. If the poster doesn’t have the guts to identify them self at least to me, then I reserve the right to reject their comments. I have never been one to be afraid to stand behind my thoughts and comments and I guess I simply do not have much respect for those who take pot shots, but are afraid to leave their real name or a name that links back to their identity. What I think and say may not always be popular, but I will never blow smoke up anyone’s butt or hide my identity. I expect the same from those leave comments.

5 comments:

Java said...

I admire your honesty. Honesty like that is difficult for some people: difficult to hear from others, and very hard to express themselves.
I think age/experience has something to do with it. The older I get the less tolerant I am of dishonesty. I am not as afraid of what others think if I am truthful about myself in some way that offends their sensitivities.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your story. Hopefully it won't be too painful to tell, but will help with the healing.

Anonymous said...

Well, since I can't recall having had any of my comments rejected, I guess I haven't made any truly pissy or nasty comments. It is your blog, however, and editorially, you have the right to include or exclude any of the comments you receive. I will say, however, that as you well point out, in certain areas (Virginia and Pat Robertson's backyard, for one), folks are not as open minded as they should be. This lends itself to some folks commenting without wanting to be identified. Agreed, there are a lot more gay, bi, or those who have tendencies than are admittedly apparent or apparently admitted. Your blogs are thought-provoking. Most of the time, your opinions are understandably justified. I have to say that I don't agree with all of them, but I do understand your point of view on practically all of them. You have reasons for your opinions. I like that. In part, this post seems like you're uninviting me to read your blog or at the very least uninviting me to comment. And, as usual, you are justified to brush away someone whom you do not know and who has invited himself into your conversation without a proper introduction. I have tried to leave objective responses, but perhaps there might have been a few that were more "pissy" than objective, but never intentionally nasty. Nice people such as yourself don't deserve that. You deserve respect. I would suggest, however, that if it is unacceptable for someone to leave a comment as an anonymous contributor, you really shouldn't offer that as an option. If you have borrowed the script from other blogs or programs and cannot remove it, perhaps a note somewhat to the effect that any anonymous posts will not appear on the blog would be appropriate. It has been nice exchanging ideas, however. This shall be my last post because I sign myself as anonymous and now find myself uninvited.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

The anonymous post immediately above, does not appear to be the individual about which I complained. A number of my blogger friends have had problems with vicious and nasty comments that have forced many of them to go to moderating all comments. I have likewise been forced to followed that practice.

If one does not want their name out publicly, what a number of readers do is e-mail me and tell me the name they will be using for their comments. That way, they remain anonymous to the larger world, but I know that I am not dealing with some crack pot who merely seeks to annoy and cause mischief.

Anonymous said...

I highly doubt that I am offending you, but I must tell you that I post as anonymous because I find the commenting system here hard to use. The box into which I am typing now is quite small. The window is appears is will not allow sizing, and requires horizontal scrolling (probably due to my screen settings). My guess is that you do not control the way I see the comment interface.

vab251

Anonymous said...

Also, I had to click publish twice using a different verification code.

Quirky!

vab251