Monday, October 20, 2008

Disingenuous Anti-Gay Double Speak

I'm back in town and will post more later tonight. One thing I wanted to comment on however right away was the anti-gay double speak that is being generated by Christianists - both by Sarah "Bible Spice" Palin and in a number of comments left by anti-gay marriage supporters (which I will NOT publish). In all instances, the writers and Palin dress up their anti-gay positions as if they are not judgmental of gays, and then proceed to judge us and endeavor to restrict our CIVIL legal rights based on their Christianist beliefs. First, a look at Bible Spice Palin's remarks to CBN News concerning her opposition to gay marriage and support of a Federal Marriage Amendment:
*
Brody: On Constitutional marriage amendment, are, are you for something like that?
*
Palin: I am, in my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage. I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do, but I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.
*
Excuse me, but isn't telling us that we cannot marry because it offends her warped verion of religious belief judging us and telling us what we can and cannot do? The woman is a cretin if she thinks a Federal Marriage Amendment isn't an anti-gay judgment. Moreover, the judgment is RELIGION based. In my legal opinion, an unbiased application of the U. S. Constitution to the gay marriage issue would require that ALL of the state anti-gay marriage amendments enacted to date are illegal based on both the First Amendment and under the Equal Protection Clause. CIVIL marriage rights and who gets to have them should not be based on one set of religious beliefs.
*
As for the anti-gay comments on this blog, one writer - who obviously is falling for the knowingly false information being disseminated by the supporters of Proposition 8 - made the following unfounded remark:
*
but what I do not agree with is if gay marriage is passes then my religious leaders could get sued for not performing same sex weddings because it would be considered discrimination.
*
Sadly, this writer has been duped by this lie. Nondiscrimination laws do not and never have required churches to modify their religious ceremonies and/or beliefs/doctrines for INTERNAL church issues: e.g., the Roman Catholic Church does not have to marry individuals who were previously married and divorced - and to this day it doesn't (unless the Church is paid a big monetary fee and an "annulment" is issued). The First Amendment of the U. S. Constitution allows/requires this outcome and will even if Proposition 8 fails.
*
Another issue that rankles me is the mindset that if Proposition 8 fails, then - Heavens forbid - gays and gay marriage might be mentioned in schools. As if all us LGBT folk will magically cease to exist if we simply cease to be mentioned. Of course the anti-gay writers never ask the question how they are going to shelter their darling children forever. Sooner or later the little dears will venture out into the real world and - horror of horrors - encounter or hear about LGBT individuals whether "mommie and daddy" like it or not.
*
In the final analysis, in the minds of most opponents of gay marriage, gays and lesbians are not considered fully human and/or deserving of the same rights in every respect as other citizens. Sadly, we are viewed as "sinners" who made the "choice" to be gay and for that we must be forever punished and marginalized. As I have said before, in my opinion, the Christianists are a clear and present danger to constituional freedoms for ALL citizens in this nation.

2 comments:

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

I don't care about other fundamentalists' far-right beliefs because hate doesn't honor God. It never has and it never will.

Anonymous said...

I just don't get they fact that they believe this is God's will. All truth is lost on them, even when the Bible says otherwise, they just skip over the parts that don't get them what they want.