Sunday, October 07, 2018

CCV Racing - An Escape from Politics

Waiting for wind and the start.
Sometimes I feel I suffer from an overload of politics and stress in general.  Other than surfing, which I sadly have not done regularly in several years after having a 70 month period of never missing a month surfing, I find sailing a great stress reliever.  I pursue this endeavor through racing at the Hampton Yacht Club where I have been a member since 2012. Today, I raced in the CCV Fall Racing series on a boat owned by a friend with whom I have raced before on a number of occasions. We took second (2nd) place overall and had a wonderful time.  As with surfing, once a race is underway, all else fades away and your focus becomes, the boat, the wind, and the competition.  The camaraderie is also wonderful and the connection with nature is unique (something power boating cannot offer in my view).   Above and below are photos from today which started off slow until the wind picked up but turned into a great day.

The Laser 28 that I crewed on today (and a number of other times).
Some of the 18+ boats competing today.
A view of Hampton Yacht Club - the husband and I were the first publicly recognized gay couple members.
One of our competitors motoring to the start.

1 comment:

Sixpence Notthewiser said...

This looks like tons of fun ^_^