Monday, November 10, 2008

Unconvincing Black Excuses and Apologists

A number of individuals have offered apologies and/or explanations for the rampant black homophobia displayed in the votes for Proposition 8 and the constitutional amendment initiatives in Florida and Arizona. I'm sorry, but I don't buy them. Bigotry and discrimination is still bigotry and discrimination no matter who is the group doing it and for those who want others to not discriminate against them, the first step ought to be that you practice what you preach. On that count, homophobic blacks have failed miserably - regardless of their history as a people - and I suspect they will sadly learn as time goes by that those who voted decidedly anti-gay have lost a great many allies or potential allies for their community.
*
I may sound harsh, but punch me in the gut, don't in the next breath expect me to turn around and offer a helping hand. Because I will not. In my view, the apologists for homophobic blacks are directing their time and effort in the wrong direction. Many people - including me - are not going to buy the efforts to somehow make black homophobia the fault of whites. The fault lies with the black community and their homophobic churches - many of which milk the black community so that their pastors can live opulently. I will not name names, but I assure you that I could give you a goodly number names of such pastors from black churches right here in the greater Norfolk area.

5 comments:

Ultra Dave said...

Yet again you are correct. It is easy to see if one looks at all the new HIV cases in the black community and all the "down low" activities. If they can't fight for their own identity within their own community we sure can't expect it to telegraph into ours.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Yes, I did read the dailykos diary.

Anonymous said...

What did you think?

Anonymous said...

According to The San Francisco Chronicle, same sex families were never featured in any of the ads was out of fear of the "p" word being invoked.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/10/MNU1140AQQ.DTL&type=printable

Anonymous said...

Michael,
I really think the problem is with the gays. Why did they think that the african americans would support them? I never saw it that way. I think african americans have had a tough time with self esteem. I think that being gay in the straight african american culture makes you less of a man and that is why they will never endorse gay rights. It's all very sad but the gays will survive and move forward without there help.