Monday, April 16, 2007

Paying Taxes to a Government that Keeps You Unequal

Richard Rothstein over at QueerSighted (http://www.queersighted.com/) had a good description of how I suspect many of us in the GBLT community feel some mornings. Having worked on my tax return a good part of the weekend so that I can pay my federal taxes and help support the government that currently fails to protect my equality and out right marginalizes my life, Richard’s comment hits home even more than most days:

“Some mornings, before I've even finished my coffee and reading the first news reports of the day, I feel exhaustion for no other reason than the fact that I'm a gay American. I wonder if my fellow citizens who spend their days campaigning and crusading to limit my civil rights - the civil rights that they themselves take for granted - ever consider the inhumanity and irrationality of what they do? And I wonder if the millions of Americans who stand by apathetically and allow this travesty to play out with each passing day ever consider the emotional anguish they are deliberately or carelessly causing to millions of children, teenagers and adults?

This weekend
KETV Omaha has provided live coverage of the "Love Won Out," Focus on the Family conference intended to "curb homosexuality" and promote "the truth that change is possible for those who experience same-sex attractions," While this festival of self-loathing and monstrous bigotry plays out, Don Imus is fired for making a horribly tasteless and grossly inappropriate joke about a group of black women. But who cares about a bunch of fags? Obviously not any of our prominent civil rights crusaders.”

As Michael Signorile noted last week on his new blog site, The Gist (http://www.signorile2003.blogspot.com/) , unfortunately GLAAD seems to be asleep at the wheel when it comes to getting down in the trenches to battle to silence the homophobes who are regularly given a free platform to these merchants of hate and easily documented untruths. Oh well, I need to get back to work so I can pay more taxes to a government that treats me with contempt.

No comments: