Monday, February 04, 2019

Headed Towards Political Homelessness?


I left the Republican Party roughly 20 years ago (I do not remember the exact date I resigned from my City Committee seat) because the GOP had veered too far to the right and could no longer embrace the concept of the separation of church and state, something has become even worse under the Trump/Pence regime.  While never officially a Democrat - I have gone to some Democrat city committee meetings - I have more or less supported Democrat candidates with money and even housing campaign staffers for up to four months at a time. Now, I fear that the Democrats are going to veer in the opposite direction.  The ideology police swarming around Ralph Northam are but one symptom as the push of a "no tolerance and no forgiveness ever" policy that I suspect will ultimately cannibalize the Democrat Party and drive many like myself away.  

I also see this far left extremism infecting the struggle for LGBT rights in Virginia which, by default has forced many to support Democrats since the Republican Party of Virginia remains firmly in the control of religious extremists at The Family Foundation and neo-Confederates.  Indeed, there are events already scheduled where I now find I have no desire to attend.  I simply have no desire to see a considerable number of people that will be in attendance and have even less desire to pledge financial support given the true character of these same individuals that I have witnessed over the last few days.  

Supporting third party candidates isn't the solution since, voting for them is a wasted vote and money donated might just as well have been burned in a fireplace.  The take away is that I am not sure what the answer is, but the husband and I will definitely be rethinking our support to many, especially senior elected officials who have proven they will quickly throw others under the bus and have no true loyalty to anyone. Loyalty is a two way street in my book, not one way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The enemies of liberalism in America have one chance to keep the current traitor in office. It is to divide the Democrats. The easiest and quickest way to do that is to use racism, and find every way possible to turn Black Democrats against White. I think the Virginia Governor needs to remain in office. He committed no crime, and the scandal he is involved in pales in comparison to the real illegalities of tRump and his rethug cronies. We should not hound people out of office for 35 year old acts, but for illegal behavior. If we continue the course of turning on our allies, we encourage the scandal mongers who will continue to turn the Pocahontas issue, and the Dean scream, and the e-mails of Clinton into the burning questions for future elections, when we should be looking at the corruption, illegality and treason that are right in front of our faces.