Sunday, April 06, 2008

A Stark (and Realistic) Look at Hillary Clinton's Campaign

Jon Baltz at the Huffington Post has a scathing commentary on Hillary Clinton's campaign which unfortunately, in my opinion, is all too true. In his column, Baltz looks at the mis-steps of both Hillary and Bill Bill Clinton and their willingness to sacrifice all to win, even their long term reputations. As Baltz argues, Hillary and Bill are the strongest arguments as to why the country cannot afford for Hillary to be the Democratic Party nominee. Here are some highlights (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-baitz/not-until-the-fat-lady-si_b_94360.html):

Let me be clear: I believe that the Clinton campaign has been simply tragic. It is an object lesson in failed promise and panicked, unstable, virulent war-game tactics. It has been marked by shallowness of the first order, and by the relentlessly divisive behavior of a cynical staff. She is fatally compromised in her stature as a credible voice, even perhaps in the senate, and her husband, an ex-president of the United States, is in danger of squandering what is left of his tattered reputation. The utter absence of statesmanship from the Clintons actually is painful to watch. There are lies about being under fire, there are semi-secret conduits to Matt Drudge, there are methods worthy of the Nixon playbook, in terms of sheer cynical zero-sum brinksmanship. There is an endless contempt for Obama's brilliant oratory, his ability to speak to adults like adults, which makes the Clintons suddenly seem like Bushesque boors, frankly. The sneering at his ability to connect reeks of school yard pique. It need not have been this way. There were early signs of a different kind of race, and they evaporated a long time ago. One day, we may live to see such a race. I doubt it.
And frankly, there is something admirable about the indefatigable Clinton appetite for power. I find it morally vacuous, not to mention shallow as hell when Bill remarks that if you can't take the hits, you shouldn't run. Really, Bill? Did you love your ongoing and disgusting hazing at the hands of right wing zealots so much that you think those tactics are a reasonable litmus test for the presidency, rather than say, oh, profound and inspirational moral force and an utterly unifying presence? Just asking. And as stomach turning as is the new college campus mini-trend of questioning of the Clinton's daughter about Ms. Lewinsky, well, so long as the Clintons are willing to put her out there to play that particular game of tennis, well then, who are we to stop 'em? Go. Go. Go. Go to town.
No, Hillary should remain in the race. As Frank Rich pointed out last Sunday, she knowingly fabricated the details of her landing in Bosnia, and she did so repeatedly, shamelessly, even after she was entirely revealed as a fabulator worthy of the hoariest backlot Hollywood schlockmeister. So -- Let it go on and on and on and on. The truth, as it did in the case of her trip to the "war zone", will come out. It always does. the last aria has not been sung, and the Valkyrie has yet to exhaust her lungs. And as the race continues to the bitterest end, I hope that Senator Clinton's many supporters are entirely satisfied that she did this to herself. That she exhausted her every chance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am gay but I have always voted for who I thought was the best person even if it meant voting republican. I was no fan of Bush (2) but I was no fan of Gore's either. I really didn't have a horse in that race. The reality is no republican should have a chance in hell to win in 2008 but I think McCain will. What the dems have done with Hillary is to basically drive a wedge between her camp and his. I don't know if it will able to be repaired. I knew she was nothing. They are amorale in my opinion. Some are just coming to grips with that. My concern with him is allowing his children to endure the hatred that was espoused by the Rev Wright. I think that will get him in the end. Why would he think that americans would tolerate that? It seems he has orcherasted his political future pretty well. He had quite a few "present" votes in the state house. You do this when you don't want to be pinned down on paper. The one thing you cannot due is walk away from a position you took without either lying or making a mockery of yourself as Hillary has done with NAFTA. If the religious situation was reversed no white candidate would be able to even attempt to try for a nomination. The press would kill him/her. If you go back in history the dems were by far the most racist party between the two. They still have a very large block that will NOT vote for a africian american, period. Especially with the church issue and Youtube. The republican machine is going to rip him up. That is something Hillary could not afford to do since she needed the african american vote for herself. McCain is not counting on that vote. It is going to be an interesting race. I want to believe in Obama but I have doubts. He is an excellent orator but talk is cheap. Thanks for allowing my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Michael,
I sent a comment last evening that I guess you didn't approve to this post. I really didn't see why. I don't think it was offensive. I am not playing games with you. I felt I made some very good points. I guess you want everything politically correct. I believe in telling the truth but I am not desiring to hurt anyones feelings. I don't have a blog nor do I have a google username or password. I have no problem giving you my name, if that is what you want. I will rather give you my whole name but from there on use my first name. OK?

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Anonymous,

I was slow in approving your comment because my work day has been crazy and I just now - after 7:00PM - am getting a chance to look at the blog.

I agree with many of your points except the "present" votes in the state legislature. From what I have read, most of those votes were pre-arranged to kill certain proposed legislation rather than to avoid taking a stand.

I agree with you that it will be a most interesting race. From my years in ploitics, I am a bit cynical. However, I believe Obama is our best shot at perhaps changing the current way of doing businees in politics.

Michael-in-Norfolk said...

Anonymous,

Feel free to give me your full name. Rest assured that it will remain confidential.