Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Responses to Comments on Clinton

I have been taken to task by some for stating that I do not know if I could bring myself to vote for Hillary Clinton if by some fluke - or more accurately, stolen nomination - she were to become the Democrat Party nominee. While I very much do not want another Republican administration, especially one that would prolong the disaster in Iraq, I have to seriously question whether or not McCain would be worse than another dose of Bill and Hillary. I am liberal on social issues and an ardent supporter of gays rights, but the thought of 4 or 8 more years of constant scandals and self-serving conduct by the Clintons is hard to stomach. Their tactics to date have shown that they care only for themselves ultimately, regardless of whatever lip service they give to the contrary. Moreover, other than using gays as a source of votes and money, I do not expect Hillary to do anything for gay rights. We will be thrown under the bus the second our uselfulness is over.
The only thing that would perhaps swing me over to vote for her if, God forbid, she is the nominee would be to protect future nominations to the U. S. Supreme Court. Obviously, I'd prefer to avoid the whole situation by seeing Obama get the nomination. While white blue collar racists like those in rural Pennsylvania who voted for Hillary (as a native of Syracuse, New York, I traveled through rural Pennsylvania often and it makes Norfolk, Virginia, look downright progressive and racially tolerant) may be inclined to vote against a black man - they seem to forget he is also half white - I believe the issue of the economy and the Iraq War will make them vote against their racial bias and support Obama. I continue to believe Obama has a far better chance of carrying more states than Hillary, Virginia being one of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, you don't need explain, especially on your own blog.

All I'm saying is that I can't believe that there are people who are willing to throw their votes away or vote for the Republican ticket thus wanting another four years more of the eight years of hell we've already endured with a Republican at the helm.

I really hope that's not the case come November.

Unknown said...

As you know, this could very well be the first time since I've been voting (1972) that I will vote for a Democratic President.

But I don't care if Hillary kisses every Lesbian and Bill kisses every Gay man in the US.

I WILL NOT vote for the Clintons ( remember with one you get two).

I will vote for McCain if I can't vote for Obama and let the LGBT chips fall where they may for 4 years.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for the party, but I recall all the promises we made to ourselves about the Clinton regime -- no one liked the Billary Administration. Voting for the party for the party's sake would be suicide if the nominee is she. I'm sure she wouldn't vote for Obama if he were to become the nominee. I'd venture a guess that she would write her own name on the ballot and encourage others to do so as well. I worked closely with the previous administration at times. As you well point out, they are only in it for their own perspective, objective and personal gain.
I have to say I am just as opinionated on this one as you are, Michael.
Stick to your guns!