Sunday, September 30, 2018

2019 University of Virginia Reunions - Beginning the Third Century


At the risk of dating myself, yesterday I attended committee meetings at the University of Virginia Alumni Association to begin planning for my 45th undergraduate reunion.  It's my first effort in such an endeavor and I was persuaded to get involved by my classmate, Ann Brown, who also graduated with me from the University's law school three years later.  As a reunion committee member, I and other committee members will be working to encourage classmates to give back to the University financially and just as importantly to come back to the Reunions Weekend next May 30-June 2, 2019.  Our reunion will be noteworthy for at least 2 reasons: our class (1974) was the first co-ed class to graduate, and 2019 marks the 200th anniversary of the University's founding by Thomas Jefferson.  

During my years at UVA, I was deep in the closet.  Interestingly, yesterday I discovered a former classmate who is serving on the committees is gay as well.  Our hope is that other classmates who are LGBT - and who may not have had the best of experiences - will consider coming back for the reunion.  Who knows, we might even be able to have an informal LGBT gathering at some point over the weekend. 

Information on the reunions can be found at this link.  And, yes, some classmates will be hearing from me. 

No comments: