Thursday, May 05, 2016

Donald Trump and Newly Emboldened American Racists


In my days on the Virginia Beach Republican Party City Committee there may have been some members who were racists, but in polite and civil company they kept their bigotry and hatred to themselves.  In short, they were discrete and seemingly realized that their views were deemed unacceptable to decent people.  Those days are now gone.  One contender for the 2nd congressional district nomination has endorsed Donald Trump, a n individual applauded by the KKK and white supremacy groups.  And across the GOP base out right racism is on display  without shame of any kind.  The phenomenon is the result of years of GOP dog whistle racism that has now come into the open light of day under the encouragement of Trump whose base is largely angry white men, many of whom my southern belle grandmother would have viewed as uncouth if not "white trash," the lowest of the low in her view.  A piece in Huffington Post looks at how Trump and the GOP have unleashed open racism and dehumanization of others - much as Hitler did to the Jews of Europe with horrific consequences.  Here are column highlights:
I live in a political bubble. A lovely, liberal, northeastern bubble. The majority of my friends and family are Clinton supporters, and the rest favor Bernie. One or two Republicans I’m close to voted for Kasich in the primaries. I’m pretty sure there are a few closet Trump supporters in my life — and on my Facebook friends list — but as long as they stay in the closet, we’re good.
It’s what’s outside my bubble that keeps me up at night, especially now that Donald Trump has been anointed the presumptive Republican nominee. It’s what keeps me writing on and on about this election.
I have to thank Mr. Trump for opening my eyes to the American ugly I didn’t want to see. I needed a wake up call. I’m not closed off in some strange, futuristic liberal world. I live in a diverse community with a mix of political and social viewpoints, and I consistently read newspapers and websites with differing ideologies. I know my American history and I know what racist people have been saying about President Obama for the last eight years. I’ve watched the videos of young black men shot by cops.
And I’ve listened to the calls for racial justice on college campuses. I’ve worked on a college campus where I was the minority, and my students have spoken and written about their experiences. Throughout my life I’ve heard stories from my Jewish friends about the nasty comments they’ve endured. So yes, I understand how deeply racism and bigotry run through American culture — as much as any educated, white, Protestant person can really understand it — even if I don’t hear it in my home or my backyard.
But what I didn’t understand until this election, until I started paying closer attention to the voices of ordinary Americans, is how terrifying it is to read what some of them write on public forums, or to hear them say out loud what they really think about other Americans. The racists and bigots of America have always been out there. There have always been hideous trolls on the Internet. But now they are emboldened in a big way by the bellicose Donald Trump. He’s opened Pandora’s box, and nobody can shut it.
Imagine if you will, for a moment, being Malia Obama this week, . . . . on Fox’s website. It got so bad Fox had to shut down the comments section.  They called her “little monkey,” and “little ape.” One poster hoped she would get AIDS. . . . The comments go on and on.
The astonishing thing is that some of the posters used what appeared to be their full names. No shame in being a vile, racist, pig. Not when the possible future leader of the free world doesn’t know to disavow the KKK, shouts plans to build walls and keep Muslims out at every rally, calls other candidates nasty names and disparages women. The presumptive nominee for President of the United States eggs on the racists and the bigots. He gives them voice where they had none.
Take the case of Julia Ioffe, a prominent Russian-American writer who published a researched article in GQ Magazine about Melania Trump. . . . . Within hours of the article’s publication, Ioffe, who is Jewish, received a call from an anonymous caller who played part of a Hitler speech into the phone. Someone posted photos of her head superimposed on a mug shot from Auschwitz. Someone sent her a photo of a cartoon man with a large nose, kneeling down as a bullet blasts through his brain.  The comments go on and on. But Trump has been mute.
It’s about the soul of America and its relationships to the world. If you care about that, you cannot vote Trump, or stay home, or vote for a third party spoiler.
How can this man, who has fomented so much anger and hate, represent the United States to the World, and to its own people? How will minorities feel safe in the U.S. if he is president? How can this country stand to be even further divided? The chasm is already too wide.
[T]he hate will go on and on, If Trump is president, a possibility that moved one giant step closer to reality Tuesday night. And if that happens, none of our bubbles will be able to save us from ourselves.
What I find most telling is the number of self-identifying evangelical Christians have flocked to Trump.  Their embrace of Trump underscores the lie that they are nice, decent, "godly" people.  Hate and bigotry are the pillars of their belief system and now the hate has spread from gays to anyone with differing skin color and/or beliefs.  They are little different than the German Christians who flocked to Hitler despite what their apologists have to say. 

No comments: