Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Problem of Ageism In the LGBT Community


SHOW SOME F*CKING RESPECT!
Something I think all gay men need to hear...
Posted by Davey Wavey on Friday, January 29, 2016
I came out in mid-life and was struck by the emphasis on youth and beauty in the gay community.  Indeed, I felt  like a "has been" before I got out of the gate.  Sadly, the problem of agism within the LGBT community has not gotten any better since I came out.

I make no claim to have been among the earlier warriors for gay equality, but over the last 15 years, I have tried very hard to make life for LGBT Virginians through involvement with Equality Virginia (Legends committee for 6 years and monthly supporter), founding and supporting Hampton Roads Business OutReach ("HRBOR"), active political involvement, including donating to gay friendly politicians, writing a monthly LGBT column in VERR Magazine, and providing substantial financial support for HR Pride.  My husband has been there right beside me as have many of my friends in the LGBT community of my generation.  I am not trying to brag or blow my own horn. The reality is that in Hampton Roads to a large extent, it is always the same people writing the checks, fighting the fight and putting themselves out there to change minds and hearts.

Yet, meanwhile many young gays do nothing to support the larger LGBT community and take for granted the much improved world in which they now live and seem oblivious as to who and what got us to where we are today.  Worse yet, they show no respect for older gays who fought in the trenches to make things better for all of us. The above video posted by Davey Wavey struck a cord with me has a message that some in the younger generations really needs to hear.

No comments: