Thursday, March 06, 2014

The Circle of Time - Please Donate


A little over a century ago my mother's father worked on the building of the Panama Canal and made enough money to put himself through medical school at Vanderbilt University.  Shortly after graduating and after a stint as a U.S. Army doctor ironically stationed in Hampton, Virginia, he returned to Panama (with an interlude in Honduras where my mother was born) working for United Fruit Company's Medical Department to provide medical services to both company employees and local inhabitant free of charge.  Now, the circle of time has closed and my nephew (pictured above) is working in Panama for the Peace Corps.  As part of his effort for underprivileged my nephew is seeking donations to finance a project that will help needy residents.  I hope readers will consider helping out by making donations to this effort.   Here are details on how to make a donation:

This project’s webpage can be viewed by going to www.peacecorps.gov/donate and searching by project number (14-525-005) or my last name Godburn.  

 Here is a message from the Peace Corps about the grant being sought:
We are excited to tell you about Matthew Godburn’s Peace Corps Partnership Program project.  Since its inception in 1964, the Peace Corps Partnership Program has helped thousands of Peace Corps Volunteers implement community-initiated projects worldwide.  Now Matthew is taking on a new Latrine Initiative project in Panama that needs your support.

This project, developed to address a pressing community need, will be implemented by both Matthew and local partners.  This project will benefit the people of the community for many years to come. 

In order to begin implementation, Matthew must raise $1,300.60 from friends, family and other interested donors.  Matthew and the people of the community are asking for your assistance to turn this project into a reality.
I continue to think of my late mother and her youth in Central America.  If you are able, please donate to my nephew's project.   Below are photos of what is left of the hospital where my mother was born and a scenic vista that she would have known.

Former hospital building in Puerto Castilla where my mother was born.
View across Trujillo Bay that my mother would have known

No comments: