Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Lying: The Secret to Romney's Recent Success

While The Onion is a parody site, it often hits at the real truth.  A case in point is an imaginary interview where Romney tells the truth - a shocking concept, I realize - and admits that lying is the basis of his comeback to date:

"I’m lying a lot more, and my lies are far more egregious than they’ve ever been," a smiling Romney told reporters while sitting in the back of his campaign bus, adding that when faced with a choice to either lie or tell the truth, he will more than likely lie. “It’s a strategy that works because when I lie, I’m essentially telling people what they want to hear, and people really like hearing things they want to hear. Even if they sort of know that nothing I’m saying is true.”

“It’s a freeing strategy, really, because I don’t have to worry about facts or being accurate or having any concrete positions of any kind,” Romney added.

Romney said he is telling at least 80 percent more lies now than he was two months ago. Buoyed by his strong debate performance, which by his own admission included 40 or 50 instances of lying in one 90-minute period, the candidate said he will continue to “just openly lie [his] ass off” until the Nov. 6 election.

Whether it’s a senior citizen, military family, working mother, businessman, or middle-class American, Romney said, he will lie to every single one of them as often as he can if that’s what it takes to win the presidency.
 
The best part is, it’s really easy to lie," said Romney, who added that voicing whatever untruths come into his mind at any given moment is an easy thing to do because all it requires is opening his mouth and talking. "For example, if someone accuses me of having a tax plan that makes no discernable sense, I just lie and say that I do have a tax plan that makes sense. I also say there is a study that backs up my plan. See that? Simple.

We heard what Romney really believes when he was talking to his millionaire donors earlier in the year.  The big questions is whether or not voters realize that they are now being cynically played for fools or not before election day.  

No comments: