Sunday, September 02, 2012

Wedding and Family Reflections


The house/dog sitter arrangements have been made and the boyfriend and I are headed to Charlottesville this morning for a wedding reception of sorts for my oldest daughter and her husband who married quickly in April before he got orders - back to Afghanistan for a THIRD tour - so that my daughter would be qualified as a military dependent.  The party, however, is being hosted by one of my former sister-in-laws at her home and the prospect of venturing into a gathering of the ex-in-laws is making me feel like I need a strong already and it's barely past 8:00AM.  Fortunately, there will be other folks there at the party that we can intermix with as will my youngest daughter and her husband. And tomorrow morning we will visit with my sister and some of her family at her home which is also in Charlottesville.  In addition, I'll have a chance to visit my alma mater, pictured above.

I guess these issues and strained situations arise in heterosexual divorces, but it seems the acrimony of a divorce triggered by a spouse "coming out" is even worse.  At least that seems to be the experience of most of the gays and lesbians I know who have come out after marriage and children.  The situation is made all the worse when you have a judge like I did who thinks that being gay is a "choice" and one finds them self largely on trial for being gay.  There are exceptions to this rule, but they seem the rarity.  One can only wonder if the wounds and pain of the experience will ever really pass away.

I'll let folks know how it all goes.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!

2 comments:

nexii said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nexii said...

Hope all went well for everyone.
*hugz*
Christopher