Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mariners Museum - Titanic Centenial Event


Since I was a child I have been fascinated by ships and the sea - even though during my earlier years and through high school I did not live near the coast. I still recall as a teenager going to New York City with my dad and walking down to the Hudson River wharves to see the liners Queen Elizabeth 2 and the Italian Line's Raffaello. Since moving to Hampton Roads I have come to truly enjoy The Mariners Museum in nearby Newport News which keeps alive the amazing history of ships and shipping. I wrote a while back about a fundraiser that will take place on April 14, 2012 - the centennial of the last night on board the R.M.S. Titanic. The image below gives information on tickets. You can also get information here.

The boyfriend and I are attending the First Class recreation of the last dinner on that fateful night almost 100 years ago along with my youngest daughter (who will be wearing a Edwardian like sequined gown) and some friends - our neighbor is on the museum board - and some of the boyfriend's clients. One of our dear friends is truly a kindred spirit with the "unsinkable" Molly Brown and will be a great edition to the evening. True to form, the boyfriend, a/k/a "Martha Stewart" will be doing hair and making Edwardian styled hair pieces for my daughter and friends. I hope local readers will consider attending if they are free on April 14th (unfortunately, the event conflicts with the EV Commonwealth Dinner that same night).

Click image to enlarge

No comments: